Changing boot drive letter

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Skunk141, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Skunk141

Skunk141 OSNN Addict

Hi

I have a machine here that was loaded with XP while the memory card reader was installed, this gave the HDD a letter of H:

I have tried this method here ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188 ) to test if it would work but it has crashed the test machine so I really don't want to try it on this one, the user data is backup up but there is a hell of a lot of programs and what not to reconfigure so if at all possible I'd like to avoid a total re-install, can any one suggest another way to try then this method that always seems to fail?

Cheers

2. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Its less pain and hassle to reload without the card reader attached.

3. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

My school does not have a C:\ drive, instead all of the drives are labelled D:\. Makes it harder for a virus to just come along and do damage since many of them seem to insist on C:\.

4. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

its virtually impossible once the os is installed to change the main/os install HD drive letter, it would be far easier to simply reinstall your system.

because even if you could all the registry entries, program paths etc... would have to be changed and good luck with that charade.