Change Start button action...

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by scriptasylum, Nov 27, 2002.

1. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

Not sure if this can easily be done but, can the Start menu be made to open when the Start button is "hovered" over instead of clicked on, then close "onmouseout" instead of clicking out of the menu?

2. Octopus

Octopus Moderator

no,don't think so.

3. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Might be a reason why it says 'click here to begin'. :eek: Good idea though.

4. Octopus

Octopus Moderator

if you don't like windows style then you can try windows blind or desktopX from stardock.com , or talisman.the YZ Dock is a good application.

5. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

Actually I am using YZdock right now and like it a lot, but it won't hold all my programs. Having a "onhover" start menu would fit in better with the dock because of how it works. It shouldn't be THAT hard; after all, once the start menu is open, all the submenus operate "onmouseover".

Incidentally, you can have seperate instances of YZdock running at once and still be able to configure them seperately, but I would still like to use the start menu for some of the less used progs.

You would think there would be some way to change the start menu behavior. Hopefully it's not "hard-coded" into the OS, but it probably is. :(

Oh, well. I'll just keep an eye on this thread, maybe someone will know of a way (without a third party app).