Change Hard Drive Icon?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Led2112, Dec 30, 2001.

1. Led2112

Led2112 Guest

I have a 30 gig HD totally dedicated to Mp3's is there any way I can change the HD Icon to something else?

2. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

As a matter of fact there is :D . I just tried an old trick that used to work with Windows 98 and it works with XP too. Open up notepad and make a file called "autorun.inf" and put this information in it:

[autorun]
    icon = any_folder_you_want\a_cool_icon.ico >>> or just:
    icon = a_cool_icon.ico <<< just put the autorun.inf file and the icon in the root of the drive/partition.

I don't know why, but this wouldn't work with WinME or 2k. But it works on my XP machine.

autorun.inf has to be on the root of the drive, but you can put the icon anywhere. When you get those files copied to the drive, you'll need to reboot for XP to pick it up. I tried just logging out but it didn't work, need to cold boot.

Here's a icon if you don't have one handy:

3. Led2112

Led2112 Guest

Thanks Lonman cool little trick...I'm much happier now Ahh the Little things!! Check it out!

4. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Right on. That's a pimp theme, did you make that yourself?

5. Led2112

Led2112 Guest

No didnt make it..Im an Idiot, it came bundled with the new styles XP called caughdrop check it out comes in a few colors..Thanks again :)

6. Led2112

Led2112 Guest

7. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Thanx. I have an older version of StylesXP right now. I'll have to go look and see if they have their themes available as separate downloads.