Cdrom Drive Not Showing !!!

percy said:
i connected 1 hdd + cdrom on the 1 channel and 2nd hdd to the 2 IDE channel. reboot then the cdrom came out. the 1 hdd was the primary (maxtor with jumper j50) and the cdrom with jumper at slave. the 2nd hdd did not show up on the winexplorer, the 2nd hdd is on the 2nd IDE channel because probably it has no jumper since it is a maxtor and it needs a jumper to be a master and i have no jumper it would think that it is a slave. would it?
thanks.
any other configuration that i need to do?
have a great day.
Find a spare jumper so that on the 2nd ide channel, devices are properly set as master and slave.
In my own experience (I have 2 Maxtor hdd drives), Maxtor drives do not require a jumper to be master if they're alone on an ide channel, once you put a second device, you have to set a jumper on the Maxtor drive for it to be either slave or master (Windows doesn't mind if the hdd drive is slave or master to boot).

i did check the..
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

for a DWORD NoDrives,"
and i had deleted the DWORD NoDrives for HKEY_CURRENT_USER but i didn't find one for LOCAL_MACHINE.
i also noticed that even if my startup setup to read first "CDROM" for boot-up the pc doesn't see it too.
what could be wrong?
thank you very much.

i also already did connect the 1st channel to hdisk as master and no slave and 2nd IDE channel to cdrom as master and no slave but still the cdrom didn't showup on win-explorer but device managers says it's working properly. may it be the motherboard that has the problem?
thanks.

Well I think it could be the motherboard.

You have a harddrive and cd rom that shows on IDE 1 or two harddrives but anything you put on the second IDE will not show up and you have taken alot of steps to test it.

what motherboard do you have?

If you wanted to mess with it you could get a PCI card and use it for the cd drives if there is an open PCI slot in your system.

what i did is to replace the whole pc with the same pc but all memory cards and hdds are still the ones that i used.
now the problem. the cdrom can be seen on the win-explorer but any type of cd that i put in, it doesn't read and it show "please insert cd to drive". so i thought maybe the cdrom is dirty so i had placed another cdrom but still it can't read whatever is in the cd-drive. also when i boot up even if i have a OS disc in the cdrom it wont' boot on it even if the setup is"read cdrom first" for boot-ups. i did try to uninstall the 2nd IDE drive and OS re-installed after boot-up but the problem still exist.
what can be wrong?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back