cdrom and cdrom burner, not working!!!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 50cal, Jan 1, 2004.

1. 50cal

50cal Guest

Hi all. Having a little problem. my cdrom burner isnt working and its only 3 yrs old. i put a disk in and the lite just goes on and off then stops after 20 sec or so. then i click on the driver to explore a cd and it shows nothing . so i installed a cdrom and it does the same thing. i have windows xp pro. maybe someone has some ideas.
    Thanks in advance..........and happy new years!!!
    50cal

2. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

1) "only 3 years old" - could very well be dead
    2) Have you used other discs? Copy Protection?
    3) Master/Slave set correctly?
    4) Reinstall IDE drivers

3. 50cal

50cal Guest

well maybe thats what i need to do is reinstall the ide drivers. any paticular way i should go about this? i have a gigabyte mobo , and windows xp pro. i only have one drive installed so it is set as master.

4. 50cal

50cal Guest

also i have a gigabyte ga-7va mobo with the kt400 chipset
    dont know if this helps.?

5. slayer[X]

slayer[X] Guest

Im having this problem too.
    But somehow I solved the cd-rom problem by furiosly closing and opening the cd-rom.(HAHAHA!!!):rolleyes:

I then inserted a game cd (medieval total war) and Bang!, it ran.
    You should try to insert all your cds one by one.

But I did not solve my CD-Writer problem. (same as the said problem above)

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the device.
    Hope this helps.:D

6. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Have you cleaned the lasers on the 3 year old drive? Especially important if you are in a dusty area of smoke.

I think I've seen cleaning kits somewhere. Or lacking that a Qtip with isopyl alcohol on it.

7. 50cal

50cal Guest

hmmmm..............................opps!!! i just dropped it on the floor!!!.............haha...................just kidding. well the burner was working just fine untill i tried to install cod. and 3/4 of the way through it went wakco. same thing happened to the cdrom drive i put in , only it just wouldnt read any cd , and when i put the burner back in , it wouldnt read anything either. im suspecting that something went umuck sometime during that game install .

8. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

YOu have a VIA chipset, so download the newest VIA 4in1's. I think you can just install over the old ones, but I'm not sure, been a while since I've done this.

9. 50cal

50cal Guest

well ill try again see what happens, im sure they work ok, just something jacked up with windows or sumpin.