CDR-CDRW Drives..which is the best?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Bman, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Bman

Bman Guest

I am going to buy a new CDRW drive. Which drive do you recommend?
    I saw a Sony 48x drive for cheap and was wondering how good they are. I think it only has 2 meg buffer though.

2. [CpK]Bastid

[CpK]Bastid Guest

dont really need the big buffers anymore with burn proof tech:)

tdk, msi, lite on,......all good

woops and cant forget bout good ol plextor:)

yamaha is good too

3. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Stranger Than Kindness Political User

Try buing one with a SCSI controler....faster and more relayeble (usually)

4. The_Schwarz

The_Schwarz Guest

Lite-On all the way, best drives i have ever used, have just changed all of mine over to them and have had no problems.

5. Rebs

Rebs Guest

TDK more bang for the buck.

6. dpr

dpr NTFS Junkie

It depends on what you want to do with it, if you want to BACKUP your games ect then get a liteon as they handle Safedisc 2 copy protection.

7. GhaLeoN

GhaLeoN Guest

what about a plextor 40x12x40 ?

8. pothitos

pothitos Guest

40x12x48 lite-on then if you want you can fw upgrade to a 48x12x48 without spending thew extra dosh

9. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

PLextor all the way , I've had an Sony drive for 2 years and no problems

10. Bman

Bman Guest

I was aiming for the Plex or Sony, but if you guys are raving Lite-ons.....I might go that way.

11. Timeo27

Timeo27 Guest

Yep, lite-ons are usually cheap and good.

As for me, I walk into office stores, comp usa, etc. And pick the cheapest 24x or 40x, (whatever speed I'm looking for) that I can find. These are the kind that usually have no documentation, drives, etc. so it's fun and frustrating all at the same time. But on the plus side, I usually only pay $40 or $50.

(I even found a $45 "generic" 24x in a grocery store once. I was tempted to buy it. Instead I got a 5" black and white tv for $20.:D )

12. dpr

dpr NTFS Junkie

If you do want a cdrw to back up safe disc 2 games go here http://www.fileforums.com/ then scrool down to CD Media World list and pick cd copy protections and utilities and you will see a stickey called Safedisc 2 compatible burners, look in there and it will give you an idea of what other cdrw drives will backup safe disc 2 games. Hope this helps:)

13. prasanth

prasanth Guest

I have heard that LG drive are good for over burning.