CD writing problems

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by wiltedjoint, May 14, 2002.

1. wiltedjoint

wiltedjoint Guest

Whenever I try to write a cd it freezes and makes a coaster. I have an aopen 2440 cd-rw with the latest firmware installed and I use nero version 5582 and I use winxp pro

2. Waldo

Waldo Guest

Try disabling XP CD burning and updating your ASPI layer to version 4.70. You can get it here.

3. wiltedjoint

wiltedjoint Guest

I have the latest aspi drivers and I already have disabled imapi in services.

4. ChrissiCom

ChrissiCom Guest

Try another CD-R (CD-RW) maybe it has a scratch. Also install the Windows XP CD-Burning update, it will even fix problems when you're using Nero and not the XP-built-in burning software.

5. Space Boogie

Space Boogie Guest

Do you have a link to download that update? I can burn audio CD's just fine but whenever I burn a data cd, some of the files get corrupted..

Thanks

6. epato

epato Guest

Burning problems

I also have problems burning..... I CAN burn DATA cd's but when I burn AUDIO cd's it just does not work. The process jsut reaches the LEAD-IN stage and about 3%. Then everything stops.

Another problem that maybe related to my audio burning is that when i play mp3's the quality of sound is very poor.... i get lag's and choppy sound. When i play an mp3 and open any program examply MS WORD the mp3 would actually slow down or just lag or be choppy...

This has never happend before.

My setup is:

p3-450, asus b2p motherboard
    288mb
    30gig
    yamaha 8x4x24x
    mx300 monster sound
    windows xp prof.

I hope that somebody could help me.
    Thanks
    Drew

7. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

Have you guys made sure that you have your burner set to use DMA instead of PIO...and if it is using dma on a whim change it to PIO and see if they helps (not optimal solution but might help us isolate problem)

8. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

I've been having some of these problems
    I cannot switch my burner to DMA
    It always stays as PIO

9. epato

epato Guest

Thanks for the quick response.... Where would i change the DMA settings?

Thanks
    Drew

10. dreamliner77

Device Manager

Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager

11. epato

epato Guest

controlpanel/system/hardware/devicemanager/cd-roms-drives has no option to change DMA... no drop down menus or radio buttons. :(

12. dreamliner77

try :

controlpanel/system/hardware/devicemanager/IDE, ATA, ATAPI devices

It should be there Primary and secondary channels.

13. ChrissiCom

ChrissiCom Guest

Click Start > All Programs > Windows Update... there you'll find the CD Burning update and also a lot of other important updates.

After installing the update go to Start > Run and start "services.msc". There you make sure that the IMAPI CD-Burning Device is disabled! not manual and not auto. Then restart your PC and see if it works.

14. sl05tr34m

sl05tr34m Guest

I've looked at this but the description says that if you disable it your computer will be unable to record CDs