CD tray stays open

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by KaDbUrY, Dec 2, 2002.

1. KaDbUrY

KaDbUrY Guest

Got a little problem here. Came home one day and my computer was off, and my alarm clock was reset, so the power went out, and now when i boot up my computer, the cd rom opens, and stays open...you can close it, it trys to read for 2 secs, then re-opens. It does it in bios too, so i think that means its not a virus, could be wrong, i dunno , thats why im here!!!
    Plz Help!

2. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

something might be worng behind the eject button. it might not be seated right which would cause it to be constantly depressed (no, not sad }:p) and always try to open. it's probably easy to pop the face off of your drive and blow out and dirt that may be behind the button. make sure it's functioning right.

3. KaDbUrY

KaDbUrY Guest

well, i tried blowing behind there, but nothing happens. I think it is something else. When i have a cd in the tray, it reads it longer.

4. BonyTony

BonyTony Moderator

Try updating your cd rom firmware from either your manufacturer or from here Firmware as this is the software that tells your cdrom how to work.

5. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

That's kinda weird. :huh:
    It almost sounds like the CD's electronics got messed up during that power outage (power surge when power came back on??). But you would think if that were the case other things in the PC would've gone bad too. Hmmm.

6. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

a surge causing that and only that would be kinda weird. but it could have possibly surged only enough to effect the most sensitive of parts, which would have been the cdrom drive electronics, in kadbury's case.