CD-ROM problems

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ceja, Oct 18, 2002.

1. ceja

ceja Guest

I'm having problems with my CD drives reading cd's.. If I stick a cd in it just doesn't read and it crashes explorer. If I stick a cd in before windows boots up it reads that cd untill I pull it out. Then if I try to put a different cd in explorer crashes and it doesn't read the cd at all.
    I'm running Windows XP Home editions. I have all the services enabled as of nowand I havent installed anything recently.
    If you have any idea's let me know.

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

If you have not installed anything recently or made many changes try doing a system restore.

Also you could try holding the shift key when inserting a cd till the busy light goes off then try and open it through windows explorer.

3. ceja

ceja Guest

If I could get explorer open at all with a CD in the drive. System restore would roll my system back about 8 months. That wouldn't be to bright. Though I'm sure its something really stupid I'm over looking. THe last I did install was my Audigy drivers. I'm going to try uninstalling them. Not like its the sound card drivers causing the problem anyways. Its just worth a try at this point. I've gone through the registry and everything. I can find anything that would be causing the problem.

4. ceja

ceja Guest

I also just found out I can't acsess the Locigal Disk Manager service or any of that ****. Which is ****ing odd. I can't figure out whats wrong. Its not a hardware problem or the cd drives wouldn't work at all.

5. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

Back up files and reinstall Windows? That might fix it all...