CD Rom label in explorer

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by djpast, Mar 3, 2002.

1. djpast

djpast Guest

is there anyway to edit how your cd-roms are label when you open explorer to my computer?

liek when you open explorer, i have cd-roms listed all with the label:

"CD Drive (drive letter:)"

is there anyway to change that to DVD Drive
    or CD-RW or something? I know you can do this with harddrives...

2. max

max Guest

Thats a damn good question :)

i just tried and it doesnt seem to rename , ill have a look around and see if it is possible

3. Tope

Tope Guest

4. Sage

Sage Guest

CD-Rom rename

With XP DVD-Drives and CD-RW Drives the service shell hardware detection is needed to activate the correct naming of these drives - i.e. DVD-Drive will show up in explorer/my computer as DVD drive and not CD-Rom Drive, the same is true for CD-RW Drives. So first make sure shell hardware detect is set to automatic. Go to:
    Start>All Programs>AdministrativeTools>Services>shellhardwaredetection
    (set this service to automatic)
    It is important to note that this should work with all DVD-Drives, I have one of the first toshiba DVD Drives and it works fine, so newer DVD Drives should be no problem. However older CD-RW Drives sometime will only show up as CD-Rom Drive even if the service has been activated. I had an old creative CD-RW Drive and it won't show up as anything other than CD-Rom Drive. My new burner shows up as CD-RW Drive.
    Hope this helps

5. djpast

djpast Guest

THANKS GUYS!!! actually if you combine the last two posts they work together great =) thanx for your help

6. Sage

Sage Guest

Tope's responce

Tope I tried the info from the link you gave on my girl friends computer and it worked great - thxs

7. Tope

Tope Guest

Sage

Glad it worked for you Sage, I saw it posted in another forum, at one time, thought it might come in handy one day. ;)