CD-ROM Doesnt Open?

Seriously, don't take a chance on voiding your warranty... call Dell. If they say pop the case open and check the cables then do it. They'll probably take you into the bios and have a look around too. It's not worth the risk if something is burned out... let them make the call. I've never dealt with Dell, but I've heard good things about thier support... you may even be eligible for in-house repair if their tech support can't help you get it going over the phone.

I checked out the dell website, and went to tech support and i went to CD-ROM support and they showed a list of topics to choose so i searched and (YES!!) they had a topic on "Cd-ROM tray not opening but green light stays on". So i went there and they said the cable or wires are not proparly conected so i guess i'll do your techneque loneman. And yes I wi'll call dell while i fix comp.

Ok ahhh.... How do i ground myself again? touch the power supply? Yea?

Make sure you call them BEFORE you open your case. If there's some kind of warranty feature there, you don't want to screw that up.

Originally posted by _DM_
Why? I got 1 year warenty
Opening the case without specific instruction from Dell may VOID THE WARRANTY... you don't want that.

OOOOOHHH shooot! I think its probably some kind of virus thats causing the sympthum.... cause some virus's can sometimes prevent Windows from regognizing the drive? hmm i'm gona do a virus scan first then i'll call dell

Whew I scanned the comp and no virus's found thats good news!:p

Ok guys umm my computer cannot regognize my cd-rom drive the green light is on.... But it doesnt open and I alrdy checked the computer inside. And the cd-rom drive icon is not in my computer! How do I get Windows to regognize my drive? My cd drive is LITE-ON LTR-24102M 24X CD-RW plz i'm in need of really desperate help!!!:mad: :(

No I will talk to a one-on-one tech support guy tomorow and i'll tell u. But I found this info on there website will this work?:

To test the CD-RW drive on a Dell portable computer, perform the following steps:

Insert the Dell System Software CD or Dell Drivers and Utilities CD (ResourceCD) into the CD-RW drive.

Configure the BIOS (System Setup) to boot to the CD-RW drive.

NOTE: For further instructions on how to set the CD drive to boot first, refer to the following Dell Knowledge Base Article:
RA1062101 — "How do I configure my Dell™ Inspiron™ portable computer to boot to the CD or DVD drive?"

Restart the computer.
Once booted to the drive, the Diagnostics Menu appears.

Press the <Down Arrow> key repeatedly to highlight Test One Device and then press the <Enter> key.

Press the <Down Arrow> key repeatedly to highlight IDE DEVICES and then press the <Enter> key.

Press the <Down Arrow> key to highlight IDE CD-RW 1 and then press the <Enter> key.

A box appears that allows you to select Extended or Quick tests.

Extended tests will perform an Audio test, Confidence test, Device Self-test, Read test, Seek test, and Write test.

Quick tests will perform a Confidence test, Audio test, and Write test.

Press the <Down Arrow> key to highlight which test you want to run and press the <Enter> key.

The Write Test message appears and prompts:

If you continue, the CDRW write test will erase any data on the CDRW. Do you want to continue? Yes or No?

Press the <Y> key to select Yes.
The message Please insert Pre-Formatted CDRW media. Press any key to continue appears.

Insert a CD-RW into the CD-RW drive and then press the <Spacebar>.
The warning Data in the CDRW is about to be erased. Do you want to continue? Yes or No? appears.

Press the <Y> key to select Yes.
The test executes.

NOTE: This process may take several minutes to an hour depending upon which test was selected.

If the Write Test passes, your CD-RW drive is functioning properly.

How am I suppose to get the CD to work on my cd-rive if it doesnt work? lol Do I put the cd when the comp starts?

:rolleyes:

Dude, you're the one that got a dell. I don't want to give you ANY ideas that would in any way jeopordize the warranty on your box. Talk to dell's tech support and let THEM be responsible for getting you fixed. It's my opinion that something is dead on the inside... cdrom drive, ide cable, or the ide channel that your cdrom is attached to. OR, it may be as simple as going into your bios and setting it up to auto detect the drive (under the assumption the power failure somehow surged and messed something up in there).

Be a little patient, surf the web or watch a movie until you can get your games working again... point is, you need to get tech support on the line, explain your problem, let them walk you through their troubleshooting routine and go from there. I know I know, "patience my ass, i wanna kill something!"

I would like to hear what tech support has to say so don't abandon us in the middle of the story if you get it fixed tomorrow.

Well said Loneman... I swear I will get this fix by tomorow or atleast Monday... Very well i'll call them tomorow and i'll get everything solved... for now i'll just take your advise:)

man i still say take it out back and hit it with a stick but thats just me lol oh well

Ok uhh... tell me if this works, can i just unplugg the IDE cble and the power cable then reconect those and can the comp regognize the CD-Rom Drive?:confused:

Try this out...

If you can see the drive letter in the file explorer then XP recognizes the drive, this is a good thing . Right click on the drive and then click on eject. My Brand new Dell does this once in a while also, this is the way I get around it. If nothing happens you either have a bad cdrom drive, which dell will send you a new one or you have a stuck cd, in which case talking to a dell tech can help you get the cd out. Also, opening the case will not void the warranty, that would be like asking their permission to add memory or even clean the dust out your own pc. Good luck, if you still have problems then get a snack ready and call Dell support, you'll need the snack waiting for a techy.

yea i'll call dell today and ask them to replace my cd-drive, wait do i have to send my current cd drive to them first> Or do they just give it to me for free?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back