Cd Key question re: Windows XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by FunkyBunnies, Jul 18, 2002.

1. FunkyBunnies

FunkyBunnies Guest

Well, I have done something very stupid. I bought Windows XP Pro OEM version several months ago and I put the little sticker with my cd-key on the back of a jewel case and put my cd in it. Well, for some reason my cd and my jewel case got separated and now I cannot find my jewel case.

So, my delema is this. I own Windows XP Pro, have the CD in front of me, but can't install it because I lost my cd-key. I know, I am stupid. I have turned my house inside out looking for it, but it is nowhere to be found. I was wondering if there is anything legal I can do to get Windows XP installed again on my machine? Oh, yeah, I re-partitioned my hard drive and installed linux and Windows 2000 and was starting to install XP when I realized my cd-key was missing....

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

The only thing you could do is call Microsoft and see what they say. Other than that, there is nothing else you can do but find that jewel case. The sticker that you get when you receive Windows XP is supposed to be placed on your computer, not your jewel case BTW.

3. ultraviolet7

ultraviolet7 Guest

[edit.madmatt]content in violation of forum guidelines. those kinds of ideas/suggestions will not be tolerated on the xp-erience forums. please refrain from this in the future. thank you.[/edit]

4. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

He shouldn't use illegal ways. That is theft of a software. His biggest problem is:

If he uses any key other than the one that came with his CD, it will not activate.

I would try calling Microsoft. They are not as bas as you would think. I had to call them when I tried to upgrade from Word 2002 to Office XP when I bought my notebook. They were understanding.

5. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Microsoft is usually understanding, and that's no joke.

6. ultraviolet7

ultraviolet7 Guest

i didn't tell him to use illegal methods.

7. allan

allan Guest

I agree with matt - for all the raps they get, MS will more often than not work with you very nicely.

8. FunkyBunnies

FunkyBunnies Guest

Well, just tried Microsoft support...they want $35 per incident for the retail version if you don't have a PID (that you can only get if you have it installed). Also, mine is an OEM version and they said they don't support that. If I wanted to purchase a support plan it would be like $240 or something...

I guess I just need to find my cd case with my cd-key....bummer.

~ FunkyBunnies ~

9. pacou

pacou Guest

the key ? take this

DELETED
    send me more info on your xp pro ( beta,rtm,)
    regards

We don't give out keys here

Jewelzz

10. damnyank

damnyank I WILL NOT FORGET 911

pacou - oh, oh -that's a no, no!

edit> I must be getting slow in my old age<edit

11. Jewelzz

Jewelzz OSNN Godlike Veteran

Nah, I have my warez, crack,key sensor on today. :D

12. damnyank

LMAO - but of course - I am no match for "the fastest moderator in the west"

:p

13. FunkyBunnies

FunkyBunnies Guest

I own Windows XP Pro... I am not looking to pirate anything. I just want to know how I can get Windows XP installed if I lost my cd-key...

14. damnyank

FunkieBunnies - we know you are not trying to pirate anything. We provided info to help you out within the forum guidelines. I don't believe anyone is down on you - just the individual who tried to provide the key - which is against forum guidelines!

15. ZipTriX

ZipTriX Guest

Hope I can say this. I apologize now if my post is not allowed.

I say use a corp key, if you can, until you find your jewel case. Just for the fact that you have it installed and once you find the case, you change the key without haing to reformat. Just my input.

16. Dlovely

Dlovely Guest

why is talking about warez so taboo? its about as naive/foolish as a parent thinking their children aren't having sex. its not like your setting up an ftp server with warez trading here so why not just be able to talk about it? if not then people you should private message others if you plan on helping them without publicly posting for moderators to edit.

17. [CpK]Bastid

[CpK]Bastid Guest

after the fact

but next time write the serial# on the cd itself

sorry but i dunno how to get a new one

18. Scottish

Scottish Guest

have you still got XP Pro running? you can get your CDKey in the register

Star > regedit > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

should be there ;)

19. FunkyBunnies

FunkyBunnies Guest

no, I don't have it installed....I had my drive reformatted before I realized I didn't have my key....

20. Scottish

Scottish Guest