CD burning speed??

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by neo090282, Mar 14, 2003.

1. neo090282

neo090282 Guest

Just a quick one, what are the effects of burning a cd faster than it is recommended?

For instance, If I burnt a 4x CD at 8x for example??

Ta

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

You'll be asking for trouble. Disks are cheap so go get the right speed.

3. neo090282

neo090282 Guest

What do you reckon the chance of messing them up is?

90% or lower?

Ta

4. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

well, there are 2 things i could think of that.... might happen.

1. because you're trying to send data to the cd faster than it can write to it, it will probably turn the CD into a coaster about..... 99.985% of the time. or...

2. Could end up happening like the reason they say CD-RW drives can't really get much faster than they are now. which is the fact that the CD may not be meant for that kind of speed, could crack, and damage the CD-RW drive very badly.

highly doubt that #2 would happen, since the write speed is only the speed that the Drive/CD can Send/accept data, but #1 will most likely happen FAR too often.

P.S. the percentage for #1 is probably a major overexaggeration, but is still not worth all the coasters you'd probably get.

5. neo090282

neo090282 Guest

I stand told, i'll go out and get some faster ones at the weekend.

Cheers guys

6. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

It's all a question of the dye used on the media. Faster CD's use better dyes. Now to really screw the pooch:

My Fuji 24x CD's will only burn at a max of 16x. My liteon 40x burner says they use 16x max dyes.

My Imation 24x CD's will burn reliably at 40x on the liteon which recognizes them as 40x CD's. No coasters, no data loss after 6 months.

I get the blank CD's (Fuji or Imation) on sale at Best Buy for $0.10 a peice after rebates (which always come through). My burner software of choice is Nero and Clone CD.

Draw your own conclusoins. I just buy Imation now.

7. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

I find some things just need to be burned at slower speeds ... but its not like I am in a hurry set it to burn and do something else instead of sitting there watching that little bar go 1mm every so many seconds LOL

:p

8. kch1

kch1 Guest

Like LeeJend says, you should be able to burn cd's reliably at the maximum speed nero permits. I've used 16x Traxdata which have burned without flaw at 40x and 24x strand which burn at 48x. I've never had my cds limited to a speed lower than their rating though!

9. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

kch1

Just avoid Fuji and you probably never will, lol