CD Burner Info

i agree with Ming on that one. think u got conned, ripped off, etc... etc... Don't think i ever got ANY kind of hardware for a computer that did not come with screws.

Check the weekend adds from bestbuy. They've had an excellent lite-on for 19.95 after rebate. Less than $50 up front. It's been on sale like 3 out of the last 5 weekends.

PS It's a retail box so it has all the goodies. Then again for 19.95 wtf make a stop at Lowe's for the screws.

I think I'll go out and buy one now. I'll let you know once I purchased it.

Originally posted by ming
Wow.. you got conned when you bought your CDRW mate.
I got screws with mine! :rolleyes:
Originally posted by ElementalDragon
i agree with Ming on that one. think u got conned, ripped off, etc... etc... Don't think i ever got ANY kind of hardware for a computer that did not come with screws.
i might've. but i also might have just gotten them and threw them in the pile with the rest and forgot.

i don't have a liteon, but two friends do and they must've came with screws, now that i think about it. i just didn't see them in newegg's box contents pic.

I bought it for RM 155 [USD 41] and it must be OEM version because it doesn't come with the blank cds. I managed to install it without much problem. Now, I've a few questions about burning :

1. Is it true that CD-RW cannot be used to create audio cd ?
2. What's the function of InCD and Nero Express ? I couldn't open both of them at the same time.
3. I was asked to format the cd by InCD to enable the drag-and-drop feature. When moving files from hdd to cd, will it be faster when formatted ? [pros and cons ?]

1) CD-RW's can be used made into audio cd's for cd players, but the cd player can only read it if it is CD-RW compatible

2)InCD is strictly for CD-RW disc's, while Nero Express can be used for either CD-R or CD-RW. I don't believe that nero allows you to have 2 programs from it's suite running at the same time. if you're in Nero Express and you click the button on it's toolbar to open Nero Burning Rom, it closes Nero Express, then opens Nero Burning Rom.

3)as far as i know, using InCD for the drag and drop, and burning the cd like you would a CD-R disc doesn't really have a speed increase, since it can only go as fast as the CD-RW will allow either way you try. to elaborate on it's drag-and-drop feature, it makes the CD-RW that you put in the drive act like a floppy disc.

You will only see a major increase in burning speed when you are burning a huge quantity of data anyway.
Doesn't make a big difference whether you're burning 5mb or 50mb. You'll only get the full benefit of say 52x or 48x when you're burning data on the outter edge of the CDR/RW, and that won't happen until the CD is nearly full.

When formatted, 650 MB become only 500 MB. I don't think I'll use it again ...

Another thing, on the cd burner box, it's stated that it only support cd up to 650 MB. Can I use cd larger than that ?

Originally posted by WiredBrain
1. Is it true that CD-RW cannot be used to create audio cd ?
i have a 4-year old pioneer cd deck that says nothing about being cd-rw compatible, but it reads it fine. so try it in any player, even old, and you might get lucky.

Another thing, on the cd burner box, it's stated that it only support cd up to 650 MB. Can I use cd larger than that ?
which box? all burners i know of can do 700mb cd's (which are quite common) and burning more than that is possible, but is considered going past the specified limits of your burner. "overburning", it's called.

1. Is 'overburning' harmful to my cd burner ?
2. How can I undo the formatted cd ?

1. Is 'overburning' harmful to my cd burner ?
2. How can I undo the formatted cd ?
1. they say it can. nero warns you about possible damage to your burner once you enable the overburning feature. i've never heard of anyone ruining their's by doing it, though. maybe we'll hear of some now?

2. undo a formatted cd-rw? burning software has an 'erase' feature. you can do a quick erase which just erases the TOC (table of contents) and takes less than a minute, or you can do a full one which takes as long as burning a whole cd. the quick erase is fine 99% of the time.

1. What's the differences between a full-erase and a quick erase ?
2. Is VCD affected by the cd I used e.g. cd-rw or cd-r ?

1. What's the differences between a full-erase and a quick erase ?
2. Is VCD affected by the cd I used e.g. cd-rw or cd-r ?
1. like i said, a quick erase just erases the TOC which will render it blank. a full erase goes over all the data on the cd.
2. just depends on your dvd/vcd player; whether it can read cd-rw's or not. otherwise no, it doesn't matter

I noticed that on the backcover of the blank cd-rw that I bought, it is stated that it cannot be used to make audio cd. Fortunately, I bought only 2.

If I choose to make a data cd with Nero but put in wav files, will it be playable in music player ?

If I choose to make a data cd with Nero but put in wav files, will it be playable in music player ?
no. you have to go through the 'audio cd' mode in nero.

I don't really understand the Mixed Mode CD. Can anyone explain ?

I don't really understand the Mixed Mode CD. Can anyone explain ?
creates a cd that contains both music tracks and computer files. music is recorded on the first track so that standard cd players will play your songs and ignore the computer files. your pc is able to view both types of file.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back