CD-Auto-run not working

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by mac1, Sep 10, 2004.

1. mac1

mac1 OSNN Addict

Hi all
    When I insert a cd-rom I used to get a box asking what I want to do, or if it was a game disc it would auto-load the game. Now when I insert a cd nothing happens.
    I have been to CD\Properties\Auto-run and clicked on restore defaults but nothing happens.
    This happens with both my cd-rw & my dvd-rw drives. I have just noticed that in My Computer it just shows a cd-rw & a cd-drive, before it used to name my cd-drive & my dvd-drive.

This has only happened after I loaded SP-2, (and I was just saying I have had no problems with SP-2) which I don't think is the problem.

hope you can help
    Mac

2. Steevo

Steevo Spammer representing. Political User Folding Team

I consider the lack of auto play a plus.

fitz likes this.
  3. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

Helpful Steevo :rolleyes:

You can try this mac1
    # Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE).
    # Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom.
    # Double-click the Autorun value, and type 1 for its value. (If it's not there, create it by selecting Edit -> New -> DWORD Value, and typing "Autorun" for its name.)
    # You may have to log out and then log back in for this change to take effect.

NetRyder likes this.
  4. mac1

mac1 OSNN Addict

that did the trick

I did as you said Khayman and all seams to be ok, cd are now autoloading, but I still dont get the box "in Win-XP Pro" asking what I want to do. thats no problem as Steevo says it was just a pest anyway.

ps: when I went into the registry there were 3 CurrentControlSet folders, "CurrentControlSet, CurrentControlSet-1, & CurrentControlSet-2", I had to change the autorun in all three to get it working. is this normal to have three folder?.

thanks to both.
    Mac

5. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

6. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

See how the attachment goes>

Attached Files: