Cat5e cable prices!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by JohnnyGreb, Feb 23, 2003.

1. JohnnyGreb

JohnnyGreb Guest

I was looking at CompUSA and saw that they had Belkin Cat5e 20' network cables for $29. I then went across the street (literally) into Best Buy and saw the exact same cable for only $15!! I've noticed this on other items as well, that Best Buy is cheaper. How does CompUSA survive? It's a mystery to me....

(Incidentaly, I bought a 20' generic cable for $11 at a local computer shop)

-JG

2. rettahc

rettahc Guest

Both are a rip off in my opinion. just make your own. You can go Here and get 1000 ft of cat5e a crimper 100 rj-45 connecters and a test for $43

3. JohnnyGreb

JohnnyGreb Guest

True, but I just needed one "extra long" cable, and I only needed it for a couple weeks at any rate. I've already all the "short" ones I'll ever need, and I couldn't justify those couplers they sell that connect two cables together.
    But I did consider it. Incedently, Best Buy had rolls of 100' Cat6 cable (w/o plugs) for $26.

-JG

4. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

Might you know where I can get 100 feet of Cat5 crossover with plugs on it allready? :p

5. JohnnyGreb

JohnnyGreb Guest

The longest with crossovers I saw was 20' at CompUSA for about the above mentioned prices. Might have to build your own for that length. I'm sure Best Buy has then, but I stopped "shopping" when I saw what I needed. :)

-JG

6. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

I'll give it a shot then, thanks. I've got a 50ft, but I want to wire it along the walls, etc.

No cash for wireless :p

7. i get premade 100' fir $12 or less

watch mose boxed cable is solid core not stranded like premade cables........ standed can take more bending without wires breaking and much more flexable

i make most myown cheapest way

8. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

i got 305m for £31 ages ago from scan.co.uk - i still got LOADS now :rolleyes: but it was so much cheaper at the time to buy that big box of it, a load of plugs and make my own cables than to buy pre-made to the exact length needed.

(post 100 :D)