Cat 5 (RJ45) adapter?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Sinster, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

I have a DVR for CCTV that can be hooked up to the network via cat 5 cable. The problem is that I can't hard wire to the network at the location where it is. How do I go about making this wireless? Is there an adapter to go from RJ45 to USB? Or would I have to go from the DVR to a Router and make the router my receiver?

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

You would have to go from the DVR to a router, making that router an Access Point. I'd say that's your best option...

3. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

If I do that with the router. Since I can assign an IP / Gateway etc. to the DVR how do I go about being able to view the DVR on the network?

4. ejn74

ejn74 Folding Master! Political User Folding Team

before you go to all the trouble is the DVR provided by the Cable Company? It is possible if it is a motorola DVR cable Box that the CAt 5 connection is not active on it. It is not on the DVR's I install for the company I work for.

5. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

No it's a stand alone DVR for CCTV (Security Camera's) and it's active.

6. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

Like wwwdjrcs said a router but it would be easier to buy a wireless bridge which converts the wireless to a wired co nnection. The bridge would establish the wifi connection and the router its connecting to would assign it an IP address.

The router idea would need have to have a bridge capability, I'm n ot sure which routers would provide that feature.

7. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

yeap wireless bridged router is the easiest way to go