Case Form Factor Question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sindustrial777, Dec 12, 2005.

1. sindustrial777

sindustrial777 OSNN Addict

Can a micro ATX MB go in a regular ATX compatable case?

The Micro cases are boring and i was just wondering if this was possible, after all shouldn't the smaller MB fit in a case designed for a bigger MB!

The only thing is the rear slots and all that...
    Any input would be much appreciated!

2. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

As far as I know, if it's a standard micro ATX you should have no problems fitting it in. I suppose you might get issues if you have short IDE cables etc that just about fit using your old case, but should be fine I think.

sindustrial777 likes this.
  3. Scott Young

Scott Young Real picture of me

I thought not but i found this, "[FONT=arial, helvetica]MicroATX cases require special micro-ATX motherboards. However, a micro-ATX motherboard will fit inside a regular ATX case. Not all microATX motherboards have the same physical sizes." Power supply connectors differ in size as well, it says... http://www.directron.com/cases---case-fans-micro-atx-cases.html
    [/FONT]

4. sindustrial777

Thanks for the link, some good info on that site :)

5. mlakrid

mlakrid OSNN BASSMASTER Political User Folding Team

I had a friend who did exactly what you are asking, keep in mind the dimensions are not the same, and before you go choosing a case you should already have the Mobo to make sure all the connections line up with the blanks for the connections to proture through... his didnt and he ended up having to MOd his case to make them line up....

:)

6. sindustrial777

ok thanks for the advice