CAS Latency and mobo advice

A

AmarSingh

how big of a difference does the CAS Latency make in performance?? Im getting a new mobo and cpu with 512 MB PC 2700 DDR and there is a big difference in price between the Corsair with CAS 2 and the samsung with CAS 2.5 ($125cdn, but the corsair comes with a heat spreader). I know that cas 2 is better, but by how much?

as far as mobos go...would i really notice the difference between these two: GIGABYTE GA-7VRXP SOLTEK SL-75DRV5 tests??

ive pretty much decided to get the gigabyte board since it has 4 usb 1.1 and 4 usb 2.0 as well as on board LAN (saves an expansion slot) and RAID (which i dont really need) for a $40 price difference. I'm just a tiny bit concerned about performance (i'm not much of an overclocker)

btw ill be getting an atholon XP 1800 or 1900 with a GF3 Ti200

The difference between cas 2 and 2.5 is VERY slight...your gonna be using 2700DDR ram so don't worry about it...not to mention there is a good chance that your 2.5 will run just fine at 2.0...I'd go for the gigabyte board for the reasons you listed I've seen that solteks are sometimes easier to overclock but as you said your not big on that and your system is gonna be plenty fast as is :)

PC2700 vs PC2100

Personally I have some samsung PC2700 on my A7V266-E, which only truly supports PC2100 (aka PC266) but I use the PC2700 samsung @ CAS2 with ZERO problems. I also have the system overclocked from 133FSB to 142FSB so really I also have the ram running at 284mhz rather then 266mhz.. so go for the samsung. Sadlu I would say you bought a KT333 motherboard way to early. There are some bugs that will be fixed with the KT333a

But AMD XP2000+ & Asus A7V266-E = AWSOME!
Super stable @ stock.. and super stable whenn overclocked!

Call me a rebel !!

I've got Cas2 AND Cas3 PC100 running on my Celeron system at Cas2.....call me Evil Knievel baby !!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back