Carmageddon 2 on WinXP Pro

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by austin85cw, Aug 13, 2009.

1. austin85cw

austin85cw OSNN One Post Wonder

It's installed and when I click "Launch" from the Carmageddon 2 Launcher I immediately get the "carma2_hw.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." generic error with the "Send error report" thing. It's the furthest I've made it.

Yes:
    I've tried Windows 95 compatibility... I've also tried every other option on that menu.
    I've tried the carma2_hw.exe patch for WinXP also using every compatibility option.
    I've installed "Glidewrapper" which also did nothing.
    I have the newest version of DirectX... although that might not be good since I'm trying to run an 11 year old game.

I'm running:
    WinXP Professional 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
    Pentium 4 3000Mhz, 1GB Ram
    Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, 256MB AGP

It's worked for me in the past, but I think the operating system was different. I really do miss this game. :cry:

And if I can't get it to work, any suggestions for games similar to Carma2 that would work?

2. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

Latest Drivers? Or Maybe even try an older driver.

3. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

Oh wow, this brings back memories haha. Carma 2 is an awesome game....

I remember having this trouble a long time ago, I remember the solution being some sort of Glide3D Wrapper for DirectX under XP. There is a performance hit with doing that... but cmon, its Carma 2 so you won't notice it.

I found this, a well developed for Glide3D wrapper: http://evoodoo.emulation64.com/us/home.html

However.... now that I think about it I cant remember if Carma 2 uses 3DFX or Glide....... Either way the same principle still applies. Wrapper.