Career: Software Developer (Questions on being "the shoo in")

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by GEN3RIC, Jan 4, 2007.

1. GEN3RIC

GEN3RIC Moderator Folding Team

Ive been a bit of a network guy my entire 'computer life', I've got a very broad spectrum of knowledge actually. I am into my sophomore year at a reputable private college known for software and game developers. I will receive my Associates in Software Development in September 2007 and my Bachelors in Information Technology in early 2009.

When I finish my Associates I plan on starting a job and going to class at night. I definitely want to be a software developer, so I am curious.. would it benefit me at all to get network certifications?

What sort of portfolio should I build?

Thanks...

2. mlakrid

mlakrid OSNN BASSMASTER Political User Folding Team

knowing how data is transferred through the network could help but Net+ would be the ONLY one I would reccomend if you are going the S.D. route...

good luck!

3. GEN3RIC

GEN3RIC Moderator Folding Team

I consider myself to be more than adequately trained in the way a network functions - but I figure I need a cert to prove that if necessary. If it is necessary - Net+ is what I should look into?

Thanks!

4. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Network + is a viable network certification, could also get your CCNA. Aren't many others out there that I know of that are specific to networks.

Microsoft's 70-291 I think might be worthwhile, it's networking within a Windows 2003 AD Networking Environment.

5. Brad

Brad Moderator Political User Folding Team

It depends on what you are going to be building software for. If it is for a programming a network switch for instance, it would certainly help to have the certification to go along with that just so you know what the technologies do that you are building for