can't open hotmail!!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dadecamp, Oct 25, 2004.

1. dadecamp

dadecamp under worked, over paid

After installing SP2 on a friends computer he cannot open any hotmail mails. Any ideas why?

2. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

sounds a bit odd. do you mean via the hotmail web interface ?

3. sounds weird umm... try looking the internet options to see if it is blocking it, delete all cookies and temp files.... and try redoing it

4. fimchick

fimchick OSNN Senior Addict

What happens when he tries to log in? Does it just ask for a username and password and after he enters that it just sits at a blank screen?

5. dadecamp

I'll get the details in a couple hours and then post. Thanks

6. dadecamp

Ok, here's the details. He can log on to hotmail and see the email program just fine. He can change folders as well but if he attempts to open any email it does nothing. In the browsers status bar it will then show "error on page".
    Is this a security setting in xp sp2?

7. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

I don't use hotmail but it's not trying to do a popup and IE is blocking it is it?

8. Jewelzz

Jewelzz OSNN Godlike Veteran

That's what I was thinking Xie

9. suicide_pact

suicide_pact ---pro a.v. geek

What browser are you using? I have no probs w/ IE, but I was getting errors w/ firefox. Forgot what I did to fix it tho...

10. dadecamp

He is using IE. He doesn't have anything other that XP SP2 and office XP. He uses outlook too but doesn't have any problems with it.
    SP2 has a pop-up blocker but it would show it in the pop-up bar. This error is shown in the status bar on the lower left.

11. fimchick

fimchick OSNN Senior Addict

Hotmail is now configured to use javascript pop-up windows to display email messagess (don't ask, it's so f*ing dumb, you can't even shift-click to open in a new window) so make sure his popup blockers are all disabled (google, zone alarm, whatever).

Also, if he's using zone alarm tell him to disable cookie control as well as ad blocking.

12. dadecamp

disabling popup blockers didn't work.

13. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Have you tried using a different web browser? I would use Firefox to test it :) your friend should be using it anyways

14. dadecamp

Before I go installing other browsers, why did this just start happening after SP2 install?

15. jw50

jw50 OSNN Senior Addict

I haven't had any problems with hotmail after installing SP2 so I suspect that something else is causing the problem.

16. MdSalih

MdSalih The Boss

I remember having this problem with a mate's comp... was pre-SP2... so unlikely to have any link to SP2.

Think I took the bulldozer approach to it though.. and restored from a ghost... he had a few other probs on his comp... adware and stuff.

You might want to check for some of that stuff... they do nasty things to a newly formatted PC :(

MdSalih

17. dadecamp

I had just done the "bulldozer" approach because he had problems with his sound. I had built this pc for him back in June and he was not able to use any sound devices and I could not get it to work for nothing!!! So, when SP2 came out I slipstreamed a XP-SP2 copy and did a "repair" install. His sound worked fine after the repair but he then couldn't open and hotmail email. He has not downloaded firefox yet so I don't know if that will work. I'll let you know.

18. nitasjourney2

nitasjourney2 OSNN One Post Wonder

Regarding your question: "What happens when he tries to log in? Does it just ask for a username and password and after he enters that it just sits at a blank screen?"

This is exactly what my hotmail is doing.....how do I fix it?
    Thanks!!