Can't open folder after format and reinstall

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by brocher, May 19, 2005.

1. brocher

brocher Moderator

I have just formatted my C drive and reinstalled. I have MY DOCUMENTS folder on a different drive , i moved the MY docs folder to the other drive and i cannot access on of the folders in it. It is probably one of the most important to me as it has my photo album of the kids on it.it just says access denied. and the properties say it is empty. Can anyone help me recover the pictures?????

2. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

3. RickyC

RickyC OSNN Addict

As long as you got admin rights go into the security settings for the folder and take ownership of it. The security settings will be for the previous build of windows.

4. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Right, I've had something similar happen and it was on account of the ownership rights set up in the previous Windows installation.

5. Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky OSNN Junior Addict

You can find the detailed instructions in this KB article.

P.S.: I once had the same problem, this way it got easily solved :)

6. brocher

brocher Moderator

Ok i have managed to get my files back using PC Inspector but i can't delete the original folder, will i have to do this in safe mode?

7. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

If you don't have access rights to the folder then I don't know think trying it in Safe Mode will make much difference. Have you given yourself ownership of the folder?

8. brocher

brocher Moderator

I can't get ownership of it as when i right click it then properties there is no security tab

9. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

If you have XP Home go to Microsoft & grab the Security Configuration Manager. It will add the security tab to the properties.

10. brocher

brocher Moderator

I have XP Pro

11. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

For that just go to tools / folder options / view / and in the very bottom take away use simple file shareing that brings the security tab