cant install directx 9 in XP

R

ruby lane

Hello
I cannot install the final release of Directx 9.0 on Windows XP. An error message pops up saying that "this program hasn't passed the windows logo test" - no go (and i MEAN no go) from that point. I'm beta testing a game that requires dx9 and would appreciate any help.
(yes, i'm an admin on the machine, yes, i do have all possible windows installer policies set in group policies, all updates, service packs, drivers, crypto service running, AND no, i didn't see that happening before)

thanks for input

Have you tried both DX 9 runtime (small installer; only downloads what is needed) and the DX 9 redist (the whole thing)?

Maybe one or the other will work better. I don't know...just a thought.

Melon

yes i did try both, the 30 meg package as well as web installer. they both end up with the same error.

well, i heard of two, maybe three people on earth having this problem, and no solution whatsoever... i really hope it's not that exotic.

nope, not that. it's been set to ignore for ages now... :((

i'm desperate

probably a stupid question, but i figured why not ask. Did you install SP1 yet? i have no trouble when installing DX9.

BTW, what game are you testing that uses DX9?

uhm...
i might have just figured it out...

i should have checked my logs earlier... like setupapi.log
or DirectX.log, or event viewer. well, it seems i was receiving lots of ESENT errors:

Catalog Database (804) Unable to read the header of logfile C:\WINDOWS\System32\CatRoot2\edb00001.log. Error -530.
event ID 412

I googled for ESENT and came up with this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q278316

well I was too tired to try this, besides it's closely related, but not exact - error ID might be the same, but the log header's not, so I just renamed ..\System32\CatRoot2\edb00001.log to XYZ_edb00001.log and ran dx9 install. guess what, it worked.

i really don't know if it's that simple, or if it didn't screw up something else. fact is, dx9 now wants me to reset. i hope i see you guys tomorrow :)

ElementalD: er.. yes, Ive got XP SP1 release :) the game in mention is EVE The Second Genesism check it out, it's awesome - if ur into space stuff :)
http://www.eve-online.com/

Enyo: I couldnt find any reference to that problem (xcept 1) either, it seemed strange, must be rare. thank you for input, as you can see, i managed to overcome this magic thing, but you're right about LOGS, damn, I'll try to remember to check my logs first. This is what happens when things go smooth, you forget ;)

now i reset. will see what happens. g-nite.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back