Can't find where fan plug goes...

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
OK, here is my problem...
I took apart my desktop to clean everything in it.
Now i dont remember where the case fan with an led plugs into.
My MOBO is the Asus A8N-E
i unplugged the power switch and all the wires with that power switch and then i looked in my manual and found where i think those go...
Now i cant find space for the led fan that is with the case to plug into.
Help?

The fan plug has 5 holes in a line 1 hole deep...

This is my mobo, could someone possible like draw an arrow or circle where the fan plug would go, its not a traditional fan plug, that takes normal power connectors, its very thin... with 5 small 1 pin holes.

Attachments

• asus-a8n-e-big.jpg
    asus-a8n-e-big.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 8,648
  • asus-a8n-e-bigs.JPG
    asus-a8n-e-bigs.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 521
  • AsusA8N-E(5)m.JPG
    AsusA8N-E(5)m.JPG
    255 KB · Views: 579
Last edited:
You might need a converter on that board there is no 5 pin connector for a fan I have that board.

Usually I have to plug that into my PSU.

According to the PDF of the User Manual it only has two Chassis/case fan connectors and they both are only 3 pin connectors.

Sorry I can't help ya any better than this.

Attachments

• asus_A8N-E.jpg
    asus_A8N-E.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 264
  • asus_A8N-E_2.jpg
    asus_A8N-E_2.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 180
How many pins on the fan have wires in them?

It is not uncommon to just leave the extra pins hang on a single in line connector.

CHeck the pin outs. Black is ground, yellow is usually speed on a fan and red is 12V. If you have more wires one may be 5V for the LED.

Post make/model of fan and I can check for the pinouts to see if they match a standard header.

Page 1-26 of the manual shows the gnd/power/speedpins for your availabel header. Note if you want the quiet fan speed control use Chassis Fan 1 header. If not use the other one.

PS It's safer to just take the PC out to the yard and hose it off. :dead:

Attachments

• SP32-20060523-230514.gif
    SP32-20060523-230514.gif
    16 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
I tried to find the fan, it came with my case.
The problem is i took my computer apart, i built my pc... BUt anyways, i took it apart and now cant figure out where it was...
I am almost positive it is on the thing i circled in my drawing.
Is it possible that the power button could go on different pins than said in the manual?
My Case which had the fan in it is a:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-detailsInactive.asp?Sku=A350-1008

Anyways, i guess ill post a digital photo of the exact power button wires, and the fan plug...

The power button wires are in my case as one of the unconnected bundles of wires in my case. The are connected by grey wires to the button. as illustrated in the link

Thanks so much,
Jack

Power is easy.

Check my above post I updated it. If the wires in the 5 pin header are Black-red-yellow and 2 empties it can go on any fan header. Make sure you get the direction correct.

The 2 wires from the switch go to power switch (4 and 5 from bottom right), the 2 from the reset button go to reset (bottom 2 right). Switch connections can be either way (no +/-). LED's have to be in the correct direction.

I can't see much on those pictures but the little black connectors on the ends should be labelled as to what they are. Mine are. The red black yellow colors I'm talking about willl show between the black shrink insulation and the black connectors.

I have had to actually move pins around on some case connectors to match motherboard header pinouts. They aren't as standard as they should be.

PS Man no info at all on that case. Found the ATADC site but all they have is a few picks and all the resellers have no info at all.

Last edited:
LeeJend said:
Switch connections can be either way (no +/-).
I never knew that. That is very interesting, but I guess it makes logical sense now that I think about it. But thanks for a new bit of info. :)

vivid

Vanquished, ummmm, next time you need to disassemble, take photos of each and every connection before hand. This way yer not pullin yer hair out goin in circles. This is especially true when you use hardware that have odd/unique connectors.

I hadnt any idea that the power button was not one connector :(
I forgot, i know where everything else goes, except the fan and the power button connector

Can you take a pic of the fan's power plug?

You don't think maybe its plugged into a USB header? That has 5 pins across.

Im getting the drivers to my cad readr on my laptop as we speak.
Ill post the pics of fan connector and power button connector momentarily.

Vanquished said:
Im getting the drivers to my cad readr on my laptop as we speak.
Ill post the pics of fan connector and power button connector momentarily.
Here are the picks,

Attachments

• P1010050ww.JPG
    P1010050ww.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 190
  • P1010060p.JPG
    P1010060p.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 155
Ok the power button is 2 pins as is the power LED. The LED is just split to allow easier usage in a 3pin setup. Some boards can use a 2 color LED which requires a 3rd pin. Simply locate the power LED + and - pin on the mobo and plug it in accordingly.

As for the fan plug, are you sure that's not for your card reader or another device that may use a USB header? My hardcano 13 uses a USB header for the built in card reader.

I think you are right...
Ill plug my power in accordingly and that only a usb and see how it goes, ill just forget about my fan though, i can find another plug that would be it :(

Vanquished said:
I think you are right...
Ill plug my power in accordingly and that only a usb and see how it goes, ill just forget about my fan though, i can find another plug that would be it :(

Well here's the front panel header. I've re-labelled it a bit.

Attachments

• frontpanelheader.JPG
    frontpanelheader.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 394
Yep,
Everything is in working order, all my fans back in, all my HDDS plugged in, my psu all set up, my optical drives. Now i just need to put my new vid card in which should get here tomorrow. I cant wait!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back