Can't Extend Volume

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by IDLE, Jan 8, 2009.

1. IDLE

IDLE OSNN Senior Addict

i have my main OS partitioned off at 80gig. i have a Data drive that is 100gig and a 57gig. The 80 is to be expanded to the 57gig to make the OS partition larger. When i right click on the drive Comp. Manager the extended is greyed out. i have removed the 57 partition as unformated and reformatted it and the same thing occurs.

now i saw something about the dynamic disk. is this something i should do and will it delete any data if i do convert it over? or should i even convert it all?
  2. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

First question that needs answering:
    Why do you need a main system partition of more than 80gig if you saving all your data elsewhere?

That being said, are the partitions contiguous or is that 100Gig partition between the 80 and 57GB? To expand a partition on a Basic disk, the partitions need to be contiguous.

More importantly, I don't believe Microsoft supports expanding the main system partition - if your OS is loaded on the drive, I don't believe it will allow you to expand/extend the partition. You can look at 3rd party utilities (partition magic/linux live boot CD/etc) to do it for you, but you run risks there as it is an "unsupported" method. In other words, 99% of the time it works fine, but make sure you have a backup just in case.