Cant double click drives or folders

iamtaylormade

One Step from The Edge
When I click on a drive or folder in my computer or windows explorer, the search window is brought up, not the contents of the drive or folder. I have checked the file associations, ran "sfc" from run window (brought up dos window and immediately closed same) and attempted the recovery console as suggested further down in this forum by DrX. (I dont know what to do once at the DOS prompt). By the way, I can right click and use the open, but search is at the top of the menu. I also checked to see that the registry (previously mention in forum) was "none", it was. I am running XP PRO..Thanks in advance to all....:confused: :mad:

I had this problem recently on a win98 machine I was fixing for a freind the only way I could resolve the problem was to reinstall the OS.

Try running a check-disk and if that doesn't resolve the problem reinstall the Operating System.

when you right click a folder or a drive, which option is highlighted in bold ? That's the default. If search is in bold, you ll have to check the file types - actions.

Go to tools, folder options, file types, click on none - drive and check the actions associated with it.

To set default, click on open, and then click on 'set as default'

greetz

Lukas

I would love to click on open

I cant click on open or anything else for that matter because the only option that appears is "find" (after selecting advanced and going to "edit file type" screen with the "actions" box showing). I can't select the edit button when in this screen (with "find"). This seems to be the same as the laptop i have installed XP Pro on. The laptop runs as it should, so I was assuming that "find" was something correct. It doesn't make sense to me, but it works on the laptop. If this is incorrect, where do I "bowse to", to find the appropriate "open" or "explore". By the way, the "search" is the bold type selection when right clicking the drive or folder. I was trying to keep from re-loading the OS, but if that is necessary, I'll do it. XP seems to re-load the OS differently. IE. it doesn't seem that you can re-load without writing over everything. Again assuming because I haven't gone through with it once I've been presented with the Install or Upgrade selection......Thanks again.

it's done and "fixed"

I eventually took your advice and re-installed the OS. Everything is still there as needed and the problem fixed. Just wish I knew what the problem was, I hate to lose to the problem. Thanks to everyone, this is what it's all about...........

Re: it's done and "fixed"

Originally posted by iamtaylormade
I eventually took your advice and re-installed the OS. Everything is still there as needed and the problem fixed. Just wish I knew what the problem was, I hate to lose to the problem. Thanks to everyone, this is what it's all about...........

The problem is a result of missing or corrupt drivers,missing as in deleted or just didn't install,or corrupt as they didn't install properly.

Either way it means that you need to reinstall of the OS.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back