cant delete folder

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by GoNz0, Oct 7, 2002.

1. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

ok heres whats happning, i got a leftover folder called bearshare containing a folder called temp. in this folder, the file names are just a single white smily face & i cant delete em, says invalid filenames/ file name to log and the odd error 1026, norton refuses to quarenteen the files, sayin the same thing. i tried to delete from 98 dos prompt & its a hidden folder (no i cant unhide it as it already is ???)

so now i dunno what to do :( help me plz

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

See if this will do>
    Deleting files - Access Denied Error

Explorer.exe in XP has a bad habit of wanting to hang on to files, even when you have finished using them - therefore when you try to delete the file, XP will say "Access Denied".
    This error occurs more often when working with media files - mp3, avi, mpeg etc.
    TIP:
    Close all open applications.
    Open a command prompt and navigate to the directory with the offending files.
    Then open the Task Manager and click on the Processes tab. select "explorer.exe" under Image Name. Click "End Process".
    That will leave you with only the command prompt and the task manager running.
    Now at the Command Prompt, its time to delete the file(s). Using the DEL command. Example c:>\movies\DEL movie.avi
    Now the files are deleted, go to the task manager and click on the Applications tab. Click the "New Task" button. in the dialog, type explorer.exe and click OK.

For folders the command is 'rd'.

3. dave holbon

dave holbon Moderator

An old trick here is to name the file or folder with one of the characters (preferably at the end of the name) with any character that can’t be displayed. This is done by using the number in the ASCII or equivalent character set using the ALT_ 223 or whatever key combinations. I’ve seen systems managers turn blue trying to solve this problem.

4. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

the file names are

not the simple case of an alt command ??? says U=263A for the last symbol ??

gunna try closin explorer down, thanks mate :)

5. dave holbon

dave holbon Moderator

Without further info this used to be an old IBM message probably nothing to do with it though.

Have you tried generating the symbol  using Unicode keystrokes (a long shot)?

The only other alternative is that the file security descriptors are cross-linked.