Canon PIXMA MP500 multifunction unit

ElementalDragon

The One and Only
Well..... before i go through all the trouble of taking pics of it and everything, since i already have it hooked up....... anybody want me to do a little review of the Canon PIXMA MP500 Multifunction printer/scanner/copier all-in-one unit? take some pics..... post my opinions so far.... etc...?

Muzi: did you happen to get one? checked the thread that you made a while ago about it, and you mentioned you might get one when it comes out.

I thought I did a review here.

*goes to look*

Oh, I know. It got lost in the DB crash. You can put one together if you want. How do you like it?

Ok..... guess i'll post some pics, and state my overall opinion so far with the PIXMA MP500. So far... i'm freakin in love with the thing...... also just found out that it's built-in memory stick slots actually can be accessed very easily from Windows, since it adds another disc drive...... i now have a 7-in-1 (i think) $160 memory stick reader. YAY! wanted a memory stick reader since i got my old digital camera.... but never saw the point. GOODBYE USB CABLE!!
for the sake of making this shorter than my other reviews.... i'm not gonna describe every picture that i post, THEN post my opinion..... i'm pretty sure you can find what i'm talking about in the pics.

Anyway.... back to the unit. as you all should already know.... for one.... it ain't very tiny.... but it can free up the space of two devices, since it scans, copies, and prints (3 if you actually have a copier sittin around somewhere, and a scanner and printer on your desk). it has two separate paper trays, one on the back, which can be manual, or auto-fed from what i've seen, and a paper tray on the bottom. guess the most common thing to do with it is put your standard paper in the rear paper tray, and your photo paper in the bottom one, and just press the feed switch button when you want to print a photo. As for photo's..... it does an AMAZINGLY good job at printing them (only pic i'm gonna describe.... the last one.... the big photo is one i got developed from Wal-Mart off my digital camera.... the smaller photo is one that the printer dished out. granted, it's not the same exact pic.... but it's still pretty easy to see (at least from my point of view since the pic is kinda fuzzy) that they are both pretty well detailed).

Was also reading the manual, and apparently it can print out a photo index sheet from your memory stick or whatever. It basically seems like what you'd expect in a standardized test in school.... filling in the dots. you fill in the dots by what pictures you want, also determining the size and number of prints and everything else. And if i understood it correctly..... you then scan the index sheet that it printed out.... it will detect which dots you filled in, and print out the photo's that you selected, in the size you selected. Thankfully you can print single photo's, or just print groups of photo's without going through the whole photo index thing, but i just thought it was a neat little thing i should tell you about.

The only thing i've really done with it so far was print pictures and documents (by the way.... if you get one.... don't put it on a small table with an uneven leg. it is pretty wicked if it's printing black text only..... can actually feel it shake my desk a bit.). i will probably test it's scanning abilities, copying abilities, and possibly even the whole photo index thing later on, and post again. so far it just seems like a very well build machine.

and.... it would seem i forgot to take pics of the actual INSIDE of it.... where the ink tanks and stuff are. probably post that on my next update too. think the ink tanks are one of the neatest little ideas created. and i also noticed that every pic but the first one is fuzzy.... i'll probably try to take them again, and update them too.

Attachments

• IMG_0377.JPG
    IMG_0377.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 2,205
  • IMG_0381.JPG
    IMG_0381.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0385.JPG
    IMG_0385.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 2,665
  • IMG_0387.JPG
    IMG_0387.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 190
UPDATE: well..... since i posted those pics.... i have tried both the scanning and copying. they both work remarkably well from what i can tell.... it even matched the fuzziness of the Zipzoomfly logo on the reciept from my new computer hardware. the only thing i'm gonna have to figure out is if there's a way to disable what seems to be an autocrop feature with the scanning. if any of you have ordered from ZipZoomFly... then you know that their reciept's they ship with your products tend to have quite a large gap of white between the text at the bottom, and the text at the top showing what you ordered. As it turns out.... it seems like the scanner thinks that that huge gap of white is just the white part of the lid to the scanner, so when it saves it to my computer, all i see is the text at the bottom.

on my next post i will have tried the photo index feature, and will also get some photo's of under the "hood" for you all.

Update #2: well..... i'm back again. Tested out the Photo Index Sheet thing. i have to say it works like it says it would. you fill in the dots for stuff, and it does the rest. you can either have it put a number of the latest photos from the memory stick onto the index sheet (you can have the latest 36, 72, 108, or 144 photos printed on the index sheet), or select a start and end date for the range of photos you want on the index sheet (say... if you were on vacation for a week... and a month or a few down the road, a friend wants a few of the pics from vacation.... you can figure the rest out), or you can have it print every photo from the memory card onto the index sheet (which if you have a rather large memory card.... that could be quite a lot of pics). I've attached a scan of what the photo sheet looks like (though with only one picture, to save ink).

As for the pic of the internals..... not much to see here besides the ink..... which is still nice to see. why? because even the ink tanks are pretty innovative. the red lamp (which i'm assuming is an LED), but, and i quote directly from the manual:
When the ink level is low:
The ink tank lamp flashes slowly (about 3 seconds). Prepare a new ink tank.
When ink has run out:
The ink tank lamp flashes fast (about one second). Replace it with a new ink tank.
yes..... no more guesswork as to if your ink is running low. and if you don't feel like opening the lid of the unit to see if any lights are blinking, all you have to do is look on the LCD screen.... because it tells you right there, on the bottom of the screen, what the estimated ink level is.... and has warnings for if a specific ink tank is low or empty.

As for the fact that there's 5 ink tanks..... there are two black (CLI-8BK and PGI-5BK), then Yellow (CLI-8Y), then Magenta (CLI-8M), and finally Cyan (CLI-8C). i don't remember what the second black ink tank is for..... but i think one of them is used for better photo quality, and the other is used mostly for black text and stuff.

As for another reason i'm in love with it.... it doesn't let you forget to do ANYTHING! (or... at least one major big problem that i've done twice now so far) The one big problem i've done twice so far, was not putting the paper tray for the post-printed paper to sit on down...... had it in the..... how do airplane stewardesses say.... "locked and upright position"? tried to print something.... heard the printer getting ready to print. stood up out of my chair to wait for it to finish printing... suddenly the alarm light (to the left of the LCD screen) started flashing. i looked at the LCD screen, and it told me that the paper tray wasn't down. i thought "hmm.... neat feature, but wouldn't i have to be looking at the top of the unit to see that?". looked at my computer monitor.... and there it was.... a warning telling me the paper tray was not down. good way to avoid paper jams if you ask me.

So..... that's all i can think of for right now..... if anyone has any other questions about it..... maybe if you want a picture from a different angle.... just say so, and i'll try to get it for ya as soon as i can. and i'll probably update the last 3 pictures of the first review post i did tomorrow afternoon if i can, so they might not be nearly as fuzzy, and probably the pic of under the hood that i just posted, so it's not so dark.

Attachments

• photo index.jpg
    photo index.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0397.JPG
    IMG_0397.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 496
Glad you're liking the unit -- I love it myself. :)

Funny that you came back with the ink tank photos. I also posted those in my review because it is a really cool feature. There's no question as to whether or not the tanks are inserted correctly.

As for scanning, I haven't experience the auto-crop feature that you're talking about. I guess that means it can be disabled. I've scanned quite a few documents, plus around 300 photos for a big project. It does well, though I might get a separate scanner for photos and slides, since I could scan more photos at once on a larger flatbed.

I keep plain paper in the back and 4x6 photo paper in the tray underneath. I love that the printer has two trays. The prints are outstanding as well, partly due to its ability to print with as small as 1 picoliter drops! That makes for great detail.

No complaints from me on this unit in the 5 months I've had it.

5/5 OSNN Stars ;)

yeah. i think it just autocrops when it hits one HUGE gap of no color... cause it scanned an 8x10 photo just fine. it also copied it just fine.... just cropped it when i scanned it and saved it to my computer. i dunno.... might have to toy with it some more.

But yeah.... it is one helluva nice multifunction unit.... and the double-sided printing is quite nice too.

Muzi.... have you happened to try the drivers in x64? i'm guessing they won't work since they're for x86.... but i can dream. e-mailed Canon the other day, and they said that there are several models of the PIXMA printers that have x64 drivers, but the MP500 is not one of them, and they so far have no plans of making x64 edition drivers for the MP500.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back