Cannot set restore point.

XPletive

bbbb-ring...
OK... slam some Pepsi, or Coke and smoke 'em if you got 'em.

When I try to set a restore point, it seems to start to
do it, but then it stops and tells me it was unable to
do so, and that I should reboot my PC and try again.

After I reboot my PC and try again, the same message
appears.

I checked the services that I have disabled, and none
of them appear to be related to the system restore function.

One million of any currency that has been replaced by
the Euro to the person who solves this problem. :D

Dump system restore and download Go-Back from Roxio. It's only $29 and it does everything automaticaly.

Try running a chkdsk... There might be an error in one of the files or something :confused:

Try turning off system restore, then turning it back on.

Right-click My Computer, Properties, System Restore, Unclick, Apply. Then go back and re-click the option...

I think the problem is that you haven't set a restore point (restore date) yet.

once a restore point is set, the system restore should restore to the date you set the 'restore point' ...

hrmm, thought my book would say something on it, but alas no.. um, kill it by right klicking on my puter - properties - system restore - turn off sys restore on all drives

restart

turn it bak on in same manner

restart

try to make restore point... no clue other than that man, it sounds like there might be something wrong with the system restore or the registry... I had this prob with Win ME one time, and i never got it fixed... then again WinME sucks.. but oh well...

good luck.. there always is the ever feared - clean install

OK guys... I've been away from the 'puter all weekend, but...:

existenz & Druce: When I disabled restore functionality on
all drives, I got an error message saying
that it could not be disabled on one
or more drives, but then it seemed
to disable on all drives anyway.

When I attempted to restart it, I got the
same message, but every drive in the list
appeared active and it said they were being
monitored.

The big kicker is that now I can't even start
System Restore. I just get that damn error
message, and the program terminates.

I remember that it would fail in ME if you
had a Wininit.ini file on your system, which
indicated an incomplete software removal,
and I did have that file on my c: drive, but
renaming it had no effect on my problem.

I'm going to try a repair installation of XP.

Lonman: chkdsk returned a clean bill of health for all drives.

Outlaw21: Thanks for the info. I think I'll look into it.

again, try to SET a date for your restore point... set it for today and try to restore it in a later date.. i'm almost sure it's all you need to do..SET THE SYSTEM RESTORE DATE!!

:D

celi... I heard you the first time! :D

I can't even get into System Restore, since it terminates
after that error message, so I can't set a date.

Customizing the Recovery Console
With a little advance preparation, you can overcome at least some of the Recovery Console limitations listed here when running Windows XP Professional (this technique will not work with Home Edition). Doing so requires that you use the Set command to change system variables in the Recovery Console environment. By default, the Set command is disabled. To enable it, you must change system settings using the Group Policy tool. After logging on as an administrator, follow these steps:

From any command prompt, type gpedit.msc to open the Group Policy editor.
In the console pane at the left, expand Local Computer Policy, and then expand Computer Configuration, Windows Settings, Security Settings, and Local Policies.
Select Security Options from the console pane on the left.
In the list of policies on the right, double-click the entry for Recovery Console: Allow Floppy Copy And Access To All Drives And All Folders.
Select the Enabled option and then click OK.
After enabling this policy, you can start the Recovery Console, log on with the local Administrator password, and use any of the following commands to expand your capabilities: Note that the space around the equal signs is required. (To see the current settings for all four parameters, type set and press Enter.)

Set allowwildcards = true Allows you to use the * and ? wildcards with Recovery Console commands.

Set allowallpaths = true Permits you to use the Cd command to list files and subfolders in all folders on all local disks.

Set allowremovablemedia = true Allows you to copy files from local drives to removable media.

Set nocopyprompt = true Eliminates the warning message that appears when you copy one or more files that overwrite existing files using Recovery Console commands

perhaps this will help you out

*shrugs*

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back