Cannot copy VCD-files in XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Repeat64, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Repeat64

Repeat64 Guest

It took me a while to get VCD's working in XP Pro. The WMP (both versions) were not all that keen on playing these files. I kept getting "unsupported format" errors and such. This is all a thing of the past now, ever since I installed WinDVD. So the playback is no longer the problem. The copying on the other hand, is.
    When I try to copy a .dat-file, I get the error that this is an "invalid MS-DOS function". I also read that this can be avoided by placing the file scsi1hlp.vxd in the system\iosubsys directory. The problem is that this directory doesn't seem to exist in XP. Also I read somewhere that W2K and XP don't use virtual device drivers. Can anybody clarify this and/or give a solution to this problem? Thanx in advance.

2. eNuffSaid

eNuffSaid Guest

yup. that happens. In my experience, Windows gives different error messages. You can get around this bye copying the CD to your disk making .BIN image (CDRWin) and then extract the movie from the .BIN using VCDGear.

http://www.vcdgear.com

Good luck,

Willem Moolenaar

3. Repeat64

Repeat64 Guest

Yeah, okay. I'll give your solution a try. But isn't it strange that on a machine running ME, the copying of .dat-files is no problem at all? I agree, here the file scsi1hlp.vxd is installed in the previously mentioned directory, but still.....a simple functionality as copying a single files shouldn't be an issue on "the best windows ever". Isn't there a more permanent solution that fixes this issue altogether?