Cannot change XP wallpaper as admin?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ScottFern, Aug 17, 2007.

1. ScottFern

ScottFern IT guy

I am an admin on our network and logged into my own machine on our domain I cannot change the wallpaper settings. Now I checked Group Policy for any OU that would have those settings greyed out, but I can't? In fact everyone in the domain has the same blue background, when in group policy it is set to the beach wallpaper.

Now I did notice that Active Desktop was turned on, but nowhere did I see a setting to turn off wallpaper. I did notice however that someone locks their machine the beach wallpaper comes up just for that screen? Weird...

2. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

With Active Desktop enabled it is possible to have two wallpapers going. One when Active Desktop is loaded and one when logging on/off. Disable Active Desktop, set the background to "None", then reboot and see if the GPO kicks in.

3. ScottFern

ScottFern IT guy

Where else can you set wallpapers in Active Directory besides Active Desktop options?

4. ScottFern

ScottFern IT guy

I forgot to mention that all the users here have a central mandatory profile. Does that impact any of this? I read that since we have IE7 installed that we need to list our server hosting the wallpaper share as a trusted site?

I am seeing something weird now that I changed the wallpaper and listed our file server as a trusted site in IE via group policy. Everyones profile is going from the blank blue background to the one I specified but it never sticks. It seems like it keeps going back to blue background every other day?