can you tell me the difference please?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by angeleyesxxx, Oct 7, 2002.

1. angeleyesxxx

angeleyesxxx Guest

Hi can you tell me what the difference is between Windows xp upgrade and the full version is please?If I get the upgrade what wont I get with it..I am going to buy one tonight and need to know..Thanks in advance...Angeleyesxxx

2. allan

allan Guest

They are precisely the same. In order to install the upgrade version you must be in possession of the original installation disk from an earlier OS or have an earlier OS installed on your system (though I strongly recommend doing a clean install).

To do a clean install with an upgrade disk, just go ahead and boot to the CD and start the installation. At some point it will ask you to insert the original disk from a previous version of Windows simply to confirm you have it.

3. oDin

oDin xp m0nk3y

the only difference between the two is that the upgrade only upgrades(you have to have some version of windows installed already). where as the full version is the full thing. i would recommend buying the full version though. i have had bad luck with upgrades. both at work and at home. they are always buggy and will cause you problems. upgrades are evil!!! plus i think the full version is more $$$

oDin.

4. allan

allan Guest

With no disrespect intended toward oDin - his post is not correct.

Feel free to purchase the upgrade. I'm sorry he's had problems, but he's the exception, not the rule.

5. angeleyesxxx

angeleyesxxx Guest

Thanks!!

Thanks for your quick responses I went out and bougt the upgrade I talked to the sales guys and he said there was no difference in the two and if I had a version of windows already and the disk that the upgrade would be fine,so after seeing the prices I decided on the updated version...I am about to install it now I hope I dont screw up cuz I am new at this...Thanks again everyone!!!! Angeleyesxxx

6. GraLk

GraLk Guest

Welcome

Angeleyesxxx...first of all, welcome to XP-erience.org...you probably wont find a better place to solve most of your puter problems.

Secondly...let us know if the upgrade went well.

GraLk :D

7. angeleyesxxx

angeleyesxxx Guest

Thanks!!

Just wanted to let everyone know that the upgrade worked great!! I did a clean install and it went smooth and is running fine so thanks for the help!! Angeleyesxxx

8. [CpK]Bastid

[CpK]Bastid Guest

so what happens if u ever reformat?would u have to install old OS then XP upgrade or could u just install upgrade?

9. angeleyesxxx

angeleyesxxx Guest

In the post Allan wrote me he said To do a clean install with an upgrade disk, just go ahead and boot to the CD and start the installation. At some point it will ask you to insert the original disk from a previous version of Windows simply to confirm you have it..
    So no you don't have to install the old OS just have it handy when ask for it..I am new at this so if I explained it badly sorry...
    Angeleyesxxx

10. koko

koko Got Root?

i stay away from upgrades. i much prefer to do a full, clean install. there's nothing quite like it!

11. angeleyesxxx

angeleyesxxx Guest

clean install

Hi I did a clean install with the upgrade I only have windows xp on my computer just had to put in windows me to verify I had it.Everything is running smoothly.Just learning to tweak things now.. Angeleyesxxx ;)

12. allan

allan Guest

It was a clean install - if you read the thread you'll see that. :confused: