Can somone point me to a site that can help me make a web page that...

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by Shade2074, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Shade2074

Shade2074 OSNN Addict

Can somone point me to a web site or book that can help teach me to make a web page that my visiters can customize just the way they like it?

Basically I would like to make something that will look different for everyone that visits it. I want the visiters to be able to add their own favorite links to certain sections of the page as well as customize their own colors or backgrounds (perhaps through the use of cookies? Although I'd like it to be able to show up that way no matter what computer they log in from). Here's a bit of an example of what i would like to do:

www.excite.com

if you set up an account with them you can customize their pages just the way you like it. I would like to do something very similar to what they have set up, if it's something I'm able to do without expensive software since the site is for family and friends.

thank you for any help

2. Shade2074

Shade2074 OSNN Addict

Or can anyone just recomend a good book?

3. Herkalees

Herkalees Guest

Dean k.o.o.ntz has some good books...

(sorry, I couldn't help it)Ha, I had to edit his last name cuz ntfs thought it was a bad word or something...

4. Kevin Ar18

Kevin Ar18 OSNN Senior Addict

What you are describing would require the use of CGI or something similar.

To start off with you may want to visit this site and see if there's any similar scripts already made that do a little bit of what you described: http://www.cgi-resources.com/
    The "Remotely Hosted" section shouldn't require any knowledge of cgi and thus could be set up the quickest.
    The "Programs and Scripts" section will involve more work on your part, but it is still possible if they include some good instructions.

If you don't find anything in those sections or elsewhere on the net, that of course means that you or someone else will have to write it.

Thus, you would need to learn either the perl or php (There are others, but these two are the most common). PHP has an easier learning curve.

Usage of perl or php scripts would require a server that supports cgi scripts.

5. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

PHP would be a good idea, but it is in no way trivial to make a system like this. The code structure may acctually be quite complex.

6. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

this thread reminded me to ask... anyone know of a good book on learning PHP?

7. Kevin Ar18

Kevin Ar18 OSNN Senior Addict

Zedric is right. You are looking at quite a bit of time to spend learning to program. The complexities of such a system that you described will require a thorough understanding of the logic in the way programming is done. As a point of reference, HTML is not a programming language (which you probably knew).

As for a book, jonifen, I know a good one to introduce you to C++, but not PHP. You may want to ask in the PHP forum at http://www.tek-tips.com/

8. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

9. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

thanks both of you :)
    I'll take a look at those sites.