Can load web pages in Firefox, but not IE7 ??

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Johnny, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

I am having a problem where I can load a web page fine in Firefox, but can't in IE7. It keeps giving a url not found error. I can't figure it out, does anyone know why it would be doing that ???

Thanx for any help ...

2. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Do you have a manual IP setup or DHCP?

3. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

What is the web page?

4. Johnny

I have a dhcp, I'm not connected to my router, zeke. It's a page for school, kc. It works with firefox and IE6, but not IE7 ...

5. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Delete Temp Internet Files, flush your DNS resolver cache (ipconfig /flushdns), and then if you are still having issues use the Diagnose Connection Problems tool included with IE7.

There is no point in uninstalling IE7 if it is already installed. It will be automatically installed on "Patch Tuesday" and IE6 will be made obsolete soon (meaning no new updates).

6. Johnny

Did that, Matt. It still doesn't work ..

I'm going back to firefox, screw IE for now ... When they get that fixed I will think about getting it again ..

7. _kC_

_kC_ Moderator

its a security feature of IE7...
    they couldnt fix any of the previous security risks, so they just decided to not allow any sites

8. madmatt

Johnny, try adding the site to the "Trusted sites" whitelist.

9. Johnny

That won't work either, matt. Boy this is annoying lol .. I don't know. As long as it works in Firefox is good enough I guess. It is strange that it will work in firefox, but not IE. I will have to get a hold the university tomorrow and ask them why it won't work. Of course, they probably won't know either ...

10. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Have you tried loading IE 7 in no add-ons mode?

Shortcut is located at: Start > all programs > accessories > system tools

Also make sure the security zones and advanced options are default.

You can always reset IE 7 back to default like when it was first installed on the advanced tab of IE options.

11. Johnny

Thanx for the help, AZ. that won't work either .. Maybe M$ broke it on purpose ?? lol

12. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

It may be then that it is the site itself has not updated to be compatible with IE 7.

13. Johnny

There shouldn't be any updates for the site to work with IE7. It should just work.

So far I did everything you guys said. I also disabled the firewall, disabled my aitvirus, tried to access it in safe mode. Tried to access it with everything disabled except for IE7. Nothing will work. I get nothing buty page can not be found, yet, with Firefox it comes up perfect ..

I am going to call the University tomorrow and ask them what the problem can be ...

Thanx for all you help ...

14. madmatt

That's not entirely true. Some sites check on request for the browser string and if the string isn't recognized it will fail. I had similar problems with the Microsoft Partner site when the IE7 beta first came out.

15. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Why would a site need to be compatible with a specific browser? Shouldn't the browser be the one that has to adhere to web standards (W3C and such)?

16. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

"Product Differentiation"
    Every product has to "one up" the last product in the eyes of the marketing department no matter how much trouble that causes by violating "interoperability standards". As usual the consumer takes it in the shorts.

"Intellectual Property Rights"
    The imbeciles in the copyright and patent offices have exceeded their mandate by patenting such simple concepts as a pull down menu or the order in which items appear in a menu. These absurd nterpretations of copyright and patent law have led to everybody having to make their menus appear and operate differently to avoid litigation.

Rant over.

17. Johnny

It's kinda funny how the looks of things makes one think that M$ is starting to try and make people change their websites to suit their new browser. This reminds me of how Firefox tried to do the same thing. Only diff is that M$ will be able to do it. Sheesh, I am starting to really dislike M$ ..

18. Evil Marge

Evil Marge I Rule Political User

It's MS, repeat after me MS, MS, MS

Khayman likes this.
  19. madmatt

Johnny, you are confused. It has nothing to do with the browser, it has to do with the actual code of the web site.

20. Johnny

That is what I am getting at:) . It's kinda funny how the web designers have to change their design to suit IE7 now. There shouldn't be any cases like that. It should be compatible with all websites. Why does IE7 sounds more and more like xbox 360 ??

I'll let you all know what the University says after I talk to them today ...