Can i reuse cables?

fantasi

My Yngy is My HoneY!
I used to have 3 computers to my switch, and i use a cross over isnt it to connect ot them? cuz ill be buying a new router so can i reuse them?

WIth that in mind when do i use the patch cables and when do i use the crossovers? i know 1v1 i use crossover, i know patch something with hub or something? am i wrong?

Routers, especially newer ones should allow you to use cross-0ver cables without a problem. I use a cross-over cable with my Netgear DG814 and it works perfectly.
Usually patch cables are used when connecting a PC to a switch/hub/router, while a cross-over cable is used only when connecting a PC to PC directly without a switch/hub/router in between.

ming is right
crossovers are also used for router to switch switch to switch etc.

My laptop will accept either cross over or patch to connect ot another pc or switch :eek:

Well the router ill be getting is the Netgear 834. Any ideas if either or both will work?

I use crossovers at home with any newer hub and they work fine as the ports are auto sensing.

And no, I didn't order 6 crossover cables. They were mis-shipped.

Yes, a cable can be re-used after it's been unplugged from one set of devices. It's basically copper wire (actually 4 pairs)... When you un-plug the RJ-45 connectors (those fat connectors you see on the ethernet cables), the cables are still good. Cables can go bad (if for instance they got a really bad kink in them and the wires inside got crushed, etc), but simply moving from one device to another doesn't pose a problem.

Basically, you want to have 1 cross in the path between your 2 devices somewhere, else an odd number of crosses. What it's doing is crossing the transmission line on one device, to the receive line on the other (aka the orange and green pair). It needs to do this, so each respective device can receive the "messages" sent to it by the other...

Generally, when your connecting 2 similar devices you need a cross. This would be PC to PC, router to router, switch to switch, etc. PC to router is the same sort of deal.

In the case of hubs and switches, they generally introduce a cross inside the device. This is why you use a straight through, when connecting the PC or router to a hub or switch. If you used a cross over cable connecting a PC to a switch for instance, it would be like connecting 2 cross over cables in series, hence no cross in the actual connection...

If there is a means on the device (a given port perhaps) to select whether the device will introduce the "cross over" itself, or not, then the cable you use doesn't matter. Just set the device to it's "other mode" if you don't get a link light or whatever...

Son Goku said:
Yes, a cable can be re-used after it's been unplugged from one set of devices. It's basically copper wire (actually 4 pairs)... When you un-plug the RJ-45 connectors (those fat connectors you see on the ethernet cables), the cables are still good. Cables can go bad (if for instance they got a really bad kink in them and the wires inside got crushed, etc), but simply moving from one device to another doesn't pose a problem.

Basically, you want to have 1 cross in the path between your 2 devices somewhere, else an odd number of crosses. What it's doing is crossing the transmission line on one device, to the receive line on the other (aka the orange and green pair). It needs to do this, so each respective device can receive the "messages" sent to it by the other...

Generally, when your connecting 2 similar devices you need a cross. This would be PC to PC, router to router, switch to switch, etc. PC to router is the same sort of deal.

In the case of hubs and switches, they generally introduce a cross inside the device. This is why you use a straight through, when connecting the PC or router to a hub or switch. If you used a cross over cable connecting a PC to a switch for instance, it would be like connecting 2 cross over cables in series, hence no cross in the actual connection...

If there is a means on the device (a given port perhaps) to select whether the device will introduce the "cross over" itself, or not, then the cable you use doesn't matter. Just set the device to it's "other mode" if you don't get a link light or whatever...

WOW... now this is a mouthful.... Hehehe...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back