Can connect through the browser, but can't ping

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by alecswan, Aug 12, 2006.

1. alecswan

alecswan OSNN One Post Wonder

I have two machines on my local network: A and B. I can't seem to ping B from A, but can connect to the web server running on machine B through the browser on A. I can also SSH and VNC from A into B. Note that I can also ping A from B!

Machine A is running Windows 2000 and both machines A and B are connected to Actiontec 1524 gateway. Both machines can access the internet.

I've spent a couple of hours trying to fix this problem by flushing DNS, renewing IP address and such. No luck!

This may be important. Machine B used to be connected to machine A directly, but some time ago I connected both A and B to the gateway, so they are not connected by a physical cable directly anymore. I wonder if A is trying to use the old "Local Area Connection" to look up B instead of going through "Local Area Connection 3", which goes through the gateway. Maybe Windows caches these kinds of routes.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Brad

Brad Moderator Political User Folding Team

any firewalls?

3. alecswan

No, no firewalls.

I just don't understand why SSH would work and PING won't.

4. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

what is machine B running?

5. alecswan

Machine B is running Windows XP.

6. Weasel

Weasel Define 'Cynical'

Double check that the windows xp firewall is off since it's enabled by default. It's under network properties for the LAN connection somewhere (I'm still running 2k Pro, can't remember off the top of my head where it is).