Can anyone make a plastic/shiny button for me?

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Hi fellas,

I've almost finished a new website but I'm really struggling to nail down a nice shiny button design for use on the front page. The website in question can be found at http://beastwatch.raygillespie.com at the moment. I managed to make a nice looking bar in photoshop but I really just can't get a nice big button to look any good. I know this is asking a lot, but would anyone be willing to design one for me? That would help me massively if so!

:)

I've attached the original file I need changing, thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Back.psd
    37.4 KB · Views: 171
I apologize in advance for saying this because it is not what you are asking for, but when I visited your site I immediately thought that a "shiny" effect on a button would really not match the theme of your page/site. It actually looks like a really interesting organization. May I suggest that a 'softer' look to a button might be more appropriate? It might look more tasteful somehow.

Again, sorry for butting in, that's not what you were asking for, but it was one of those 'what a shame' moments.

No please don't be sorry, that's very useful advice! I had thought a similar thing myself, but then I quite liked the look of my bar and I definitely want something more than just that plain brown background. Do you have any other suggestions?

use a picture of some tree bark in the bar - should fit in with the site

Thanks for the suggestion Carpo - I've changed it a bit, see what you think! Let me know if you have any more ideas guys :)

Ray,

Are both the Contact Us & Contact BeastWatch UK menu options required?

yes that doesnt look too bad now, not over powering or in your face, only other thing i would change is the shiney bar at the top of the page, i dont think that goes with the stle of the page, just a thought though, you should have seen the site i made -weeeeeeaaa***k! ;)

Cool, I've toned that down massively so it's not so obvious. Thanks for the tips so far - do you have any other thoughts? I'm still not entirely happy with the main content of the front page, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is I don't like.

the bar im on about is between -
Welcome to BeastWatch UK

Keeping an eye on Britain's wildlife

as stated above you dont need two contact links - one should be fine, under useful links put osnn.net and carposblog.wordpress.org and your set :p

Ah yeah, I've removed one of the contact links, thanks for noticing. The bar you mention is the one I changed - have you pressed ctrl + F5 to clear your cache? It should look a bit different now.

That owl has started to annoy me. What can I do with it? Anyone got a gun?

/me rings bill oddie

do you have a picture of any owls on a branch ? could resize that if you had one, might look better, make it look as if there is depth to the site :)

Ray,

The Beast Watch logo used in the bottom right of the screen uses a brownish border around the text. I think this logo looks very 'busy'. Where as the main logo in the top left corner uses a White border. I think this look a lot better.

Ok I've added one like you suggested, it's a definite improvement but I think think I could improve things... :) I appreciate your help with this, and you too Dwarfdata and Iamnotanumberiamafreeman.

EDIT: I've changed the logo like you said Dwarfdata, and it's looking better but do you think I even need a logo there?

Last edited:
I've added a version with the background still in - what do you make of that?

looking good, about the other logo, i don't think it needs to be as it could be on the about us page, you could use that space for other things

I agree with Carpo, I think the second logo is redundant and using up precious space that could probably be put to better use.

P.S. I love that picture of the Wolf :)

Cool, I love that photo too! I've done away with the logo completely and re-done the bottom section into 3 parts - what do you think now?

I think the site is really looking a lot better as a result of your input :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back