can any one help me????

size13

OSNN Junior Addict
i am running avg antivirus and zone alarms firewall and i keep getting a trogan come up and it tells me to scan with avg ... i do this and it doesnt find the virus/trogan it hasnt done any thing to my computer but it keeps comin back , how do i get rid of this bloody thing?????

updated ur antivirus pattern file already?

whats the name of the trojan?

ive updated my anti virus but it still keeps comin up ill write it down when it comes in next

Does it tell you the name of the trojan ? There may be a standalone removal tool for this particular trojan...

I am not familiar with AVG but I know in NAV the System Volume Information folder is excluded by default from scans - thus you can have something in your system restore points and it is not detected!

right its came up again and this is the file that it says is a trojan

trogan horse downloader . dyfica.2.R
is found in file
c:\system volume information\_restore{16c7d62a-6519-40b2-ad6a-b76a40f2c4d7}\rp51\a0024361.ocx

i cant find it or get rid of it

please help!!!

Yup -it's in your System Volume Information Folder (which is hidden) easiest way to handle it is disable SR and then enable it. Bear in mind you will lose all yor restore points doing this - but it will rid the trojan.

To delete all the restore points on your machine disable and re-enable system restore on the system: Go to the Control Panel ('Start > Control Panel') and open the 'System' applet. Click on the 'System Restore' tab on the system applet. Check mark 'turn off system restore on all drives' and click the apply button. Then uncheck the box again to re-enable System Restore on the machine and click OK.

I usually turn system restore off, reboot and then turn it back on - I don't remember why - force of habit I guess!

thanks for the help ill let you know if this gets rid of it

an easier (or at least the "official") way to nuke the system restore points is in here
I had the same problem not too long ago -
First, create a new system restore point
then:
Open My Computer
Right click on your main windows system hard drive, select Properties
Click on the button Disk Cleanup
Click on the Advanced tab, and click the button to remove all but your last system restore point
Click OK

not that damnyank's method won't work (because it does :) ), I was just highlighting another way

NerdUprising - just one question about what you consider the "official way" - what happens if there is a trojan in the last restore point - the restore point before you make a new one and run Disk Cleanup!

I'll tell you - it is part of the new one you make - as restore points are built only on what has changed since the last time a restore point has been made and nothing will have been done to your system to purge the trojan since the last restore point!

Thus I still say that the only way to be sure is to delete all the restore points as I outlined above.

Your "official way" is fine for cleaning out the SVI to reclaim disc space. Also of note - the KB referenced in the other thread - applies to ME!

it looks like damnyank maybe correct as the virus hasnt come back yet !!! anyway all of you thanks for all of your help hopefully it wont come back !!!!!

damnyank said:
NerdUprising - just one question about what you consider the "official way" - what happens if there is a trojan in the last restore point - the restore point before you make a new one and run Disk Cleanup!

there wont be - if he has run an antivirus, and it finds NOTHING (as he said) save for the one locked up in a system restore, creating a new restore point isn't going to create one with a trojan there - because there isn't a trojan anywhere but the old restore points

size13 said:
i am running avg antivirus and zone alarms firewall and i keep getting a trogan come up and it tells me to scan with avg ... i do this and it doesnt find the virus/trogan it hasnt done any thing to my computer but it keeps comin back , how do i get rid of this bloody thing?????
That's what he said - he couldn't clear it as it doesn't find it - I will not dicusss this point any further, - as I know how system restore builds restore points are built on past restore points! :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back