Cacheman

C

Carol

Hello all...
Hmm, I posted a question about the mem mgr Cacheman (?) yesterday, but it seems to have disappeared...??

Ah well, my question is, would it be beneficial to use this memory manager on my li'l system...

100 mhz board (I'm pretty sure.. confused: )
AMD K-6 400
256 mb RAM
6 gb hard drive
56k USR internal modem
Teac 8x burner
WinXP Pro:

Thanks for any input!.... C.

cacheman is fine for managing cache, but do not let it manage ram...these programs are harmfull to xp's performance, as xp has excellant memory management

Dealer- Does that mean that I shouldn't be using Clearmem as much as I do? (usually once a day, right before I defrag)

I'm hoping someone else comes in here with the specifics, but I seem to have read that everyday defrag is counter productive, unless you're doing some massive file moving everyday...once a week is recomended...but on the other hand, I couldn't figure out just what could be wrong with an everyday defrag, so, lets hope we hear from the putor noitallss on this one

Just an opinion, I do think that long bouts of defragging could probably cause excess wear and tear on your drive. I run defrag when I think I have to. I use Diskeeper, so I only defrag if I have ungodly amounts of fragments. Unfortunately, I do alot of audio type stuff so I do end up with frags pretty quick. And I notice a slowdown after a couple of days. So I just check it with DK and if it needs to be defragged, I run it.

I agree with dreamliner77 about defrag possibly causing excessive drive wear. This was reported in an article in one of the major comp mags. Once a week to once a month is the recommendation, depending on how you use your machine. Once a week if you are a server, to once a month for someone who uses their comp mainly surfing the net.

I don't want to sound too sceptical, but I really cannot image what kind of wear you're talking about. It can't be mechanical can it? If the head ever touches the surface of the platter you can probably kiss both goodbye, so that cannot be the issue. And the disk is always spinning anyway, so that's not it either. So the only "wear" it could possibly be is the magnetic fields flipping bits from north to south and vise versa. I do not know exactly what kind of flipping range a harddisk can take, but I'm sure it's in the multimillions. And I wouldn't think it's at all an issue considering the MTBF of modern harddisks. The failures that do occur have quite different causes.

the main wear is to the motors that turn the HD platters and move the heads back and forth.. generally they are quite durable though..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back