Cable Modem

• Thread starter joe.shearer
  • Start date
J

joe.shearer

2002-04-08 12:18:09 EST: 294 / 93
Your download speed : 294478 bps, or 294 kbps.
Browsers would show : about a 35.9 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 93984 bps, or 93 kbps.

My question is. The above are the results of the test to find my cable modem speed. They don't look too good to me. I have a 512kps cable-modem line ISP NTL (UK). Can any of you comuter savvy people tell me what to do(I AM a computer idiot most of the time :( ) to try and get my speeds nearer to what they should be or are they what they should be ???
Any input on this would be apreciated

I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS WITH NTL'S SISTER COMPANY TELEWEST BROADBAND AND HAVE BEEN SINCE OCT 01.
EVENTUALLY THEY FOUND A MAJOR FAULT OUTSIDE IN ROAD BUT STILL GET SHITTY DOWNLOAD SPEEDS.
AS TO THE FIGURES YOU QUOTE,512KBPS IS YOUR CONNECTION SPEED BY DIVIDING BY 8(CAUSE 8 BITS IS 1 BYTE)YOU GET YOU IDEAL DOWNLOAD SPEED WHICH IN OPTIMUIM CONDITIONS IS 65KBPS WHICH I ACHIEVED THE FIRST FEW MONTHS.
NOT SURE ABOUT NTL BUT TELEWEST LIMIT YOUR UPLOAD SPEED TO 256KBPS AS YOU MOSTLY DOWNLOAD NOT UPLOAD AND THATS WHY IT FASTER THAN BT'S 512K CONNECTION CAUSE THEY HAVE 512KBPS UPLOAD AND DOWNLOAD CAUSING LESS AVAILABLE BANDWIDTH FOR UPLOADING.
IM NOT AN EXPERT IN THIS FIELD BUT THINK THEY BOTH NEED TO GET THERE ACTS TOGETHER OR LOSE CUSTOMERS

goto www.dslreports.com and follow their tweak suggestions0..that might help you add a few K..but remember you'll never see the full 512k at a steady rate due to TCP/IP overhead and the crappy way most cable isp's cap their modems. but you should get atleast 90% of that

I had a very similar problem with ntl. I have a router and 3 PC’s connecting through it. Both PC running Windows 98 were able to get a speed detected at 512k/128k but mine (WinXP Pro) was getting around 96k/60k

The problem was in my network setup. I’m sure I removed the authentication stuff and any protocols that were not needed (I only need TCP/IP). After making a few changes I tried it again and got 512k/128k (and sometimes even a little over) I can now download at 100k easily.

Don’t forget make a couple of changes, write them down reboot and check the speed again for any improvement. Once you get it going it really is sweet.

Mike Tasker

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back