cable internet

T

Tdoan14

i might be getting cable internet from cox. should i get a cable modem from them or should i get it from best buy or some other place? and i plan to share internet connection with another computer, and was wondering what do i need to do this? should i install myself or let the expert people do it??? what is needed to connect what to what? thank u in advance for responses...

Why rent from Cox when you can purchase elsewhere cheaper. Plus if you ever move the modem goes with you.

The easiest way to network (and the best IMO) is to get a broadband router. Plug the cable modem into the router on one side (WAN side) and the computers on the other (LAN side). 5 mins config and you're done. :)

just a network card (nic). if you don't have one, your board might have it built-in. if neither, they're about $10-$15 in store.

to share the connection between multiple computers, do like sazar suggested and get a router with a built-in 4 or 5-port switch. best way to go.

i'm not familiar with getting an aftermarket modem to work with a service. i was told a few years ago when i got cable that there's no gaurantee that a particular modem will be compatible with a particular service. i haven't heard anything really since so maybe it's a load of crap and all cable internet services use the same protocols or whathaveyou. good luck.

Also, don't tell them you want to share the modem because they'll want to charge you a premium even though you are sharing your bandwith with multiple computers under the same roof (this applies to many greedy companies).:D

Originally posted by taurus
[...] do like sazar suggested and get a router with a built-in 4 or 5-port switch [...]
He did? Where?

The name is Zedric. ;)

Originally posted by Zedric
He did? Where?

The name is Zedric. ;)
lol, ouch... that's what i get for having so many threads open at once. :eek: sorry.

I believe in Murphy's Law - you know the one that says "if anything can go wrong it will" - so I figure for $3 a month - I'll rent a cable modem and if anything goes wrong (since it's on 24/7) it is their cost to replace it!:p

ok...

tell me if i get this wrong...

1. get a network card
2. get a cable modem
3. sign up for cox high speed internet
4. get a router
5. plug the cable modem to the router
6. plug the router to the network card?
7. enjoy fast downloads.... :happy:

*i'm not sure what the network card does, do both computers have to have network cards? am i supposed to plug something to it?*:huh:

Yes, each computer needs a network card.
Run a cat 5 cable from the modem to the wan side of the router.
Run a cable from the lan side of the router to the network card of your computer.
Run another cable from the lan side of the router to the network card in the remote computer.

Originally posted by Tdoan14
ok...

tell me if i get this wrong...

1. get a network card
2. get a cable modem
3. sign up for cox high speed internet
4. get a router
5. plug the cable modem to the router
6. plug the router to the network card?
7. enjoy fast downloads.... :happy:

*i'm not sure what the network card does, do both computers have to have network cards? am i supposed to plug something to it?*:huh:
Yes exactly.

A network card is needed in each computer (they may allready have one). Without a network card you can't plug into a network.

The CAT5 cable (aka TP (twisted pair), UTP (unshielded), STP (shielded)) connector (RJ45) looks like a phone plug, just slightly bigger.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back