Cable? DSL?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Nick M, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

Whats better, cable or DSL?

2. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

3. biggest choice depends on what you can get in your area and at what speed

I'm right on top of my central office so have dsl and it flys

4. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

cable will give you uber-fast download speeds but your upload might be capped kinda low (1500/128kbps). compartively, dsl has slower download speeds but faster upload speeds (384/256kbps), so they're more in the middle... and usually more expensive.

5. allan

allan Guest

I've used both and for me there is no comparison. Cable is far superior.

6. RobbieSan

RobbieSan Guest

Cable is pretty good.. I'm using it now since DSL is not available in the area I just moved to.. as mentioned DSL speed is reliant upon your distance from the central office.. if you can get a line resistance around than 300-400ohms or lower you will get very good speed... you would need to ask your telco specifially for that information..

7. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

Thanks a lot Everyone, just needed a little second opinion feedback soft of thing. :) Went out and got Road Runner Kit. Cable... Yay! Finally, I get away from this poor excuse of an internet provider, America Online.

8. RobbieSan

RobbieSan Guest

good on you.. enjoy!

9. Timeo27

Timeo27 Guest

I know what you feel like. Getting rid of AOL is one the greatest feelings in the world. Hands down.

10. dijital

dijital Guest

i've used both cable and dsl, while some say cable is better and some say dsl is better. i've noticed only a performance difference with cable. cable is much better if you can get it uncapped, otherwise they are the same in my experience.

i've have both 1.5 down/128 up cable and dsl for roughly the same price.

11. Kw4ntuM

Kw4ntuM Guest

i have dsl, about 1-2 miles from the server, which has hardly anyone on it, so right now I am DLing stuf @ about 150-200 KB/s...kilo BYTES...not BITS....regularly

so....cable can EAT ME

12. StriderX

StriderX Guest

Well for me in my area, all my friends have Cable and it not living up to the hype. Once everyone in the thier hood got the service thier bandwidth came to a screeching halt! Not good.

I went DSL and for me its great, most important is not sharing my bandwidth! with the rest of the hood!

If you can get cable uncapped then yeah go the route if not, I would go DSL

13. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

I allready have cable, but, what do you mean by " if you could get cable uncapped "

14. GT2000

GT2000 Guest

I see you're in NYC, wouldn't happen to have OOL would ya, if so, then you're already uncapped, capped means they have restrictions on your speeds, up and down, hence some people having 2mbps down, 1.5, etc, same with up.

OOL in the tri-state area up there has 10mbps down, 1mbps up.

*edit*

just saw you have 56k, in your sig.

In that case, GET OOL! I know I would if i lived up there..

15. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

LOL ... AOL to Cable! What a relief that must be :p

BTW ... I use Cox High Speed Internet (Cable) and I think the speeds are awesome.

16. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

OOL ? LOL I just am wondering if I could uncap my road runner connection.

17. Sprung

Sprung Guest

I went straight from AOL to cable. My head just about exploded like Grinder's Avatar :p

18. XPos

XPos OSNN Addict

Here's a thought... AOL/Time Warner/Cox Cable/Road Runner are the same company, aren't they?

19. jawshoouh

jawshoouh Guest

depends on where you live in the NY-metro area...i live in astoria, queens, and OOL ain't available here. no DSL, either. road runner was the only choice, unless i wanted to switch my local and LD carrier to Verizon, then i could get some DSL options. but i hate Verizon...

20. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

I inquired about a home line with T-3 access. I almost fell-over at the price I was quoted. I'll stick with T-1.:eek: