C|net Catchup service alternative?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Glaanieboy, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

http://catchup.cnet.com offered a great service by scanning your computer with a software program and send the results to a server, telling you what programs where outdated and needed updating. But now it is no longer working, unfortunately. Does anyone know of an alternative?

2. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

is this like "the big fix"

I never engaged that service on my box, but people I know like it

3. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

Big Fix is only for Windows and (Microsoft) Office programs, not for other programs.

4. coathanger007

coathanger007 Tomorrow Tweaking Today

I'd rather use windows update than bigfix. Unfortunately, there's just so much software out there that it's not possible to maintain a comprehensive catchup service. I have trouble updating software on my own website!

5. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

hmm, that's true, but C|net's download.com used to have a lot of software programs (until they charged $75 for every submission), so most of my software installed on my system were reconized by the catchup service.

6. Leevoy

Leevoy Guest

Catchup Rocked. They got rid of it when they found a security flaw in their software (so I read), which enabled hackers or the better informed to enter your system and route around.

I am sure (I moaned over 100 times to them) they will bring it back, at a cost I bet.

If it does not cost more than 10 squids then I am sure I will purchase an anual membership.

Hope it does come back, it had a couple of problems like telling you certain updates from M$ where not installed when they were and trials you had running they hung out the begging bowl for you to go through them to buy full version.

Apart from that it was o.k.