Buying my 1st DVD Burner...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sidefx, Jul 10, 2005.

1. sidefx

sidefx OSNN Addict

I currently have a cd-burner and am wanting to upgrade to a DVD Burner.

My current cd-burner is a Lite-On and I am very happy with the performance and compatibility with many media brands.

I want compatibility first and foremost with my new purchase as I have been down the road with previous cd-burners where media brands were a problem. Lite-On is the first cd-burner I have purchased where brand type wasn't an issue. The 2nd thing I look for is speed - I want the quick burn times, BUT with the best results and also the best read times. Noise isn't really a factor unless it's to a point where I have to warn the neighbours it's just me using my pc and not a Jumbo Jet taking off in the backyard.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

2. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

i have a NEC 3525-A. Never had a problem with it at all. Love it.

3. ejn74

ejn74 Folding Master! Political User Folding Team

I have a HP DVD530i that I have not had any problems with, and it wasn't very expensive either. It will burn DVD+r in Dual layer

Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  4. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

i actually like my Lite-On SOHW-1639s. 16x DVD+/-RW drive that can also burn double-layer discs. think i picked it up at the computer show for like $60. haven't had a problem with it yet, nor did i have a problem with my old 4x DVD+/-RW from Lite-On. they're pretty damn good quality burners i'd say.

5. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I would get one that can have a firmware update and be able to burn dual layer dvds. Im not sure which ones can do this; I was wondering myself :)

6. dragonbeat

dragonbeat old timer

i'm using a NEC 2500 and it has given me no problems at all very reliable can't get a better makein my view.

7. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

I have a Lite-On SOHW-1673S and have been real pleased with it.

Since I have owned this drive Lite-On have released three firmware upgrades and all three were to match more media not fix any problems with the drive.

I like the fact they keep up on matching media.

Lite-On DVD Firmware page.

8. _kC_

_kC_ Moderator

pioneer 109 awesome burner

9. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

NEC, Lite-On, Sony, Pioneer, MSI and a variety of other companies make exceptional products. HP also makes really good drives with light-scribe technology.

You can't really go wrong with any of these, simply select the one with the best features (dual layer functionality and format support) as well as the best software. Its the reason I choose my Sony (check for my Sony review in this section).

10. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

I think it's much easier to find firmware upgrades for Lite-On drives than any other drives out there if you need one.

I'll be looking for one to remove the region lock on the drive once my waranty expires.

11. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

The quality on Lite-On drives has really nosedived recently. I would highly suggest a BenQ 1620, 1625 or 1640, NEC 35xx, or Pioneer 109.

12. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

I'm gonna say you only need to look at the LG GSA-4163/4160 as that will read/write all but one format - including dual layer and DVD-RAM.

13. dubstar

dubstar format c:

BenQ 1620 for the win! or something with LightScribe (its the ****)

14. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

I am going to hazard a guess you had no idea that was your 1,337 th post.... I am also going to hazard a guess you do not care, although no doubt you realise th childish possible significance of that number.....

I guess I could get a little flambé for this OT post, but I am just feeling a little WTF right now....

15. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

heh leet :D

I hadnt noticed to be honest :p