Burning problem with Sony's CRX175E

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BlazeLeeDragon, Jan 4, 2008.

1. BlazeLeeDragon

BlazeLeeDragon OSNN One Post Wonder

Ok, I've owned my computer for 8 years now never had a problem before, have burned tons of disks...

now for some reason today I tried to burn my files for back up, and it says F:/is not accessiable.
    incorrect function
    this pops up in a little window with a red circle and a white X in the upper left corner.

don't know what's wrong but I have a ton of pictures, videos and programs I don't want to lose....PLEASE help!

I own a sony CRX175E this is a CD-RW drive, never had issues before, only fishy thing is on occastion, the drive would disapear completly in the past, it still plays normal CDs but will not open up as a burner, or auto-play with blank CD...

please help, PM or somthing please...

2. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

time for a new burner

3. BlazeLeeDragon

that is what I was afraid of...sounds like it's the burner and not some software problem or virus?

4. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

do you get the error - "power calibration error" - if so that is also a sign of a drive on the way out, also a sign of bad media, from what you have said and i have had it before i can burn a disc - eject it, and place it back in the drive an the drive will not read it, even though it burnt it and verified it, got a new drive and disc was fine

5. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

If your in the USA, download Sony's DriveCheck to make sure it is the drive. Could be a cable needs to be reconnected.

6. BlazeLeeDragon

I downloaded and ran the program, however it says burned, and read fine, everything said successful...

now when I go to my computer, and it says the drives this drive is coming up as a CD Drive, when I thought it use to come up as CD-RW Drive....

is there a way to change the drive type?

7. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

If you right-click on the drive and select properties is there a recording tab?

If not then go into device manager and uninstall the drive then let windows re-detect the drive.

8. BlazeLeeDragon

no there is not a recording tab, uninstall, I hope this works, either ways, thank you for your help, i'll post an update tomarrow

9. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

everytime I have problems with any optical media drives I look for firmware upgrades. This drive seems to be old and finding firmware might be hard to come by. But also 20x dvd burners are being sold for like 20-30 dollars and not a pricy upgrade. Hell I burn so many dvds I have to change out burners every six months.