Building New Computer

btw... just for info's sake I would rather take an amd chip at the moment due to the overall efficiency of the chip...yeah the Pentiums spank the panties off the amd chips in terms of raw Megahertz... but if you knew anything about the way the AMD chips are made... they outperform pentium megehertz to megahertz.... yes the new 0.13 northwoods outperform the older 0.18 micron amd chips... BUT not by that much...

if I was to build a system and had a total PERFORMANCE differential of about 5 percent but a price differential of about 300 dollars hell yeah I would go with the AMD's...

I have seen many many AMD systems.. overclocked to achieve similar clock speeds/performance levels as the northwood 2.2 gig systems and they are around the same in terms of scores in performance tests...

yes AMD's run hotter but again its the architecture... like I said before I would rather get an AMD chip get a good board and go ahead and load up with the 300 odd savings on pc 2700 DDR RAM...

:) check out www.colorcases.com for some nice looking cases

yeah true true mate... that was the case with the old p4 chips on the 0.18 micron base... but the northwoods are not only using 0.13 micron bases BUT they are also equipped with greater L2 cache therefore the system actually is faster than the XP chips from AMD...

the northwoods run only about 5% faster than the top of the line xp chip the 2100+ (dunno if the 2200 ever came or was just a rumour)... but they are a lot cheaper for sure..

:D

Yes, the P4 needs more Mhz to meet or exceed the Athlons performance and it does this without a problem. It's kinda like a big block Chevy (guzzles a lot of gas but watch out)! Anyway, the price of Mhz per gallon is quite cheap:D

Btw Sazar99, your last post shows you are beginning to see the "true" performance of the P4. I'll make a P4 believer out of you yet!;)

aah, haaa, sooo..., I begin see..., but, but..., I go AMD next time!:mad: I give P4 to brother, he like lot:D

Blah, blah, blah Pentium4. Blah, blah, blah Athlon.
Been argued here too many times. :p
Both are good chips. I would take either. I have an Athlon, I like it. I also have an older Pentium, I like it. I also have a Celeron...ok, it's not so great. ;) I also have an Apple G3, I like it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back