Building new Comp!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by scottgomer23, Jun 1, 2005.

1. scottgomer23

scottgomer23 OSNN Junior Addict

I am building a new PC from scratch and am looking for input on my decision of components,etc. Any input would be appreciated.

The specs:

REVISED (2nd) SPECS:

Case:

§ ASPIRE X-Plorer ATXB8KLW-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Components:

Power Supply:
    Motherboard:
    • ABIT FATAL1TY AN8 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard
    Aux. Soundcard:
    Memory:

§ CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model VS1GBKIT400 - Retail

CPU:

§ AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice Integrated into Chip FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3200BPBOX - Retail

Extra Cooling:

§ COOLER MASTER ALD-V02-UK Aerogate II Black thermal controller - Retail

Drives:

- TC1-6000 BL :: 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive (Black)

- A455-5006 :: Asus CRW-5232AS / 52x32x52 CD-RW / QuieTrack Black CD Burner

- NEC Black IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3520A BK - OEM

Hard drive:

-SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series HD160JJ 160GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA II Hard Drive - OEM

Graphics Card:
    TV-Tuner:

Keyboard/Mouse:

§ Microsoft Optical Desktop with Fingerprint Reader BZ5-00002 Black USB Wireless Standard Keyboard Mouse Included - Retail

Accessories:
    L48-2230 :: Linksys / WRT54G / 54Mbps / 802.11g / 4-Port / Cable/DSL / Wireless Router (external)

let me know what you think...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  2. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

Ok heres my suggestions:

Hard Drive: Go with Serial ATA (S-ATA)
    Monitor: get something better then 25ms (I have BenQ 19" 12ms 1280x1024 and its great!)
    Accessories: Maybe go with the ASUS wifi@home, that board has the slot for it.

3. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

Well I would agree with Admiral Michael

4. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

I'd go socket 939 instead of 754. That will provide you with a better upgrade path. Also recommend an SATA drive. As for optical drives, I'd go with a Lite-On cdrw and either a LG, Pioneer, BenQ, or NEC DVDRW.

I've also read awful reviews of the HiFiLink on audio forums.

5. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Okay short sharp and to the point:

Socket 939, Venice Athlon 3500+, LG GSA4163B DVD writer, Dell 2001FP LCD, MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum, SATA HDD's, Audigy 2 ZS OEM

Would make you a better PC over what you've got at the moment and give you longer upgrade life.

Socket 754 is for low-end cheapy cpu's - the 939 3500+ is a great all round mid-range CPU. The LG Burner is the best on the market at the moment (the next model up is actually worse). I have a Dell 2001FP and as soon as the oportunity presents itself I will be getting a second. The rest speaks for itself.

6. scottgomer23

I already have the processor and ATI graphics card. so what is the best motherboard, (512) memory (possible dual channel board) to go with the ATI board and the processor in your opinion.

whats a good 939 board for the ati graphics card. keep in mind im looking for gig LAN, lots of 2.0 USB and firewire. 8 or 6 channel audio.. (AMD processor)

the thing is I can swap the graphics card for the PCI express version.. Then get this board:
    A455-2112 :: Asus A8N SLI Deluxe nVidia Socket 939 Motherboard / PCI Express / Audio / Dual Gigabit LAN / Serial ATA / Dual RAID / USB 2.0 & Firewire

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
  7. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

MSI Neo2 Platinum for 939 board. Dual Lan, 1394, 7.1 surround sound, 4 USB2.0...

8. scottgomer23

9. scottgomer23

10. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

LG GSA 4163 = most relable, most accurate IDE DVD burner. Its < £40 so I guess that puts it under $100

11. dreamliner77

I'm going to disagree... I think the BenQ will be the most reliable as far as high quality burns and bitsetting capability.

12. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

13. scottgomer23

Is there forsure an ATI AIW x800 xt (256) card that connects using pci express?
    i know the x600 AIW is so but I have heard that you can get the x800 xt AIW in pci express not only agp

14. dreamliner77

Lord,
    That's a review for a very old BenQ drive. The 1620 rocks. The LG lose major points for not allowing quality scanning and not supporting bitsetting.

15. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Ditch the case the power supply is not up to the price tag.
    +3.3V +5V +12V -12V -5V +5VSB
    28A 30A 34A 0.3A 0.8A 2.0A
    It Only has a single +12V rail. That does not support the latest ATX power standards video cards and P4 processors.
    Find a case you like without a power supply and then put a good Antec in it.

Rule - A case is a cheap peice of tin with holes punched in it to hold all the important stuff. Most important stuff is the power supply if it goes the PC is a boat anchor, possibly a charcoal boat anchor.

The socket 754 is a dead end and markedly slower than the socket 939 due to it's single channel memory interface. Bad decision at this time unless you absolutely can't swing the extra $100 for a 939 entry level system.

Rule - today's MB choice determines your upgrade path forever. Choose wisely

Cooling
    Harddrive cooler - if the case is any good it has a front fan to cool the HD and no additonal cooler is needed.
    CPU cooler. For 10 bucks more buy the retail processor package which includes an adequate fan.

Optical Drives
    Don't waste the money buying a DVD burner and a CD burner. You can only use one at a time and if you try drive to drive burn there are issues with not enough bandwidth unless you slow the burn rate down.

Shop around for a SATA drive. They have dropped in price to about what IDE is and you''ll have less cable clutter in the case.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2005
  16. scottgomer23

how are these:
    -Antec NeoPower ATX 480W Power Supply
    -COOLER MASTER Real Power RS-450-ACLY ATX12V 450W Power Supply

17. scottgomer23

whats is prefferd for the AMD athlon 3200+..
    -Venice Integrated
    -winchester Integrated

18. onimkron

onimkron OSNN Senior Addict

I'd preferably go for Antec, I'm a big fan of their modular PSU's, and as a company they have a very good reputation. It might be costly though, depending on where you buy it from :)

As for the CPU's, the Venice is probably a better choice, since it's a direct replacement ofor the Winchester. There's also a 'San Diego' version you might be interested in, with a alrger L2 cache, but I don't have any benchmarks/reviews on hand (I've been pretty out of it over the last few weeks). Someone can most likely offer you a much better opinion on that field :)

19. scottgomer23

I updated the specs...
    give me your opinions on the revised list.

20. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

looks okay now :)

May want to take a look at Tagan PSU's too - though those come with more wires than you can stick a shake at :D