Building a new system

thanks for the advice, but i seriously don't like nvidia.

what motherboard would you suggest Sazar? i see quite a few nf3 based, but I'm not sure which would be the best buy

the board looks good, i think i'll wait a few days and see what the reviews are, but its looking good. does anyone have advice on a heatsink? i know amd64s run hotter, so i want to get the best heatsink i can find, i was thinking the thermatake volcano 9 series.

the msi board has been reviewing very well (stability/features/raw performance) and the new DFi based one apparently is driving people crazy with its looks :)

either of them is good...

leaderz0rz, if you are not going to be overclocking or not overclocking much you can use the stock heatsink till you decide to get a better cooler (if you need one)

thermalright and swiftech have nice solutions... personally not a big thermaltake volcano series fan... they may be flashy but they are loud and not so effective...

I think that basically screws right into the backplate with pre-tensioned spring-loaded screws...

the mounting system for the a64 is different from both the AXP and the p4 setup's... read the guide I posted before installing..

yea i read your guide already, the springs are just what threw me off :)

still can't find a case I like..I want it to have atleast 2 fan slots in the back, front, a window/fan and a vent hole at the top, this is almost impossible to find lol might as well do it myself.

what is your budget for a case? and what kind of case are you looking for (ie stock.. fancy with windows and lights... big... small... tower or desktop?)

budget for case is around 100 bucks depends on what the case offers though, i mean 140 etc is fine. Is 120mm in the back, better then two 80mms? also I'm not looking for anything fancy, except a window on the side, so i can add a cathode, thats about it.

one 120 will be much quieter than two 80mm...I don't think two 80s will produce that much more cooling as well

a 120 at the same speed as 2x80's will provide approximately the same air flow and be a hell of alot quieter.

edit: oh and less power consumption.

Just built a system myelf yesterday, to replace my cream crackered one, no new tft, no new dvd drive, no new hd, done it for less than £231 buying parts retail, AMDXP processor 2600+, ddr ram 512, new motherboard (nvidia chipset) new floppy, some new fans and a new case. works great:)

why not just buy one of the antec server style cases... it comes with a 400W psu as well from antec thats generally good enough for most things...

thats what i have. but the PSU sucked ass took 3 drives with it, case is badass just get a better PSU

cooler master Jet master 4 For your HSF it's the coolest looking thing in the world.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back