Building a new PC, suggestions please.

Black-Syth

Comalies
For Christmas I'm building this Entertainment PC for around $500.

Shuttle SN45G Nforce2 based. (Mini PC)
AMD Athlon 2500+(Barton)
512MB PC3200 RAM
AIW ATi Radeon 9600pro 128MB
80GB Seagate 7200rpm 8mb cache
Logitech iTouch Wireless mouse/keyboard combo.
Sony DVD-R/RW

I think it's a pretty solid PC, any suggestions for improvement are welcome. I need em'.

Case wasn't specified in your list ..
Just brand suggestions :

* Gigabyte ( ATi R. 9600Pro )
* DDR ( PQI - Kingmax ddr400 )
* Recommended case :
Case ATX model MX-01B-D-U
Case ATX Matrix MX-01B-DU, 360W CE, 6*5.25", 2*3.5" black (B) with door (D), ports Usb & Firewire

USD 96.00 ( here )

mx_01bdu.jpg

Pretty curious about that price , here that pc is more expensive but .. good luck :rolleyes:

Yes :eek: , I've realised later that but minipc's have a lot of disadvantages ... but his decision is the most important .. what I've recommended is listed up there :)

System looks ok........personally I would switch to a Hitachi(IBM) 120 or 80GB Deskstar H/ Drive.
Its read speed outstrips all other ATA makes, even my Maxtor SATA Drive.

The "MINI" computer that you are thinking about buying is good. I would have to say to go with a Deskstar, but that is my opinion.

I'd worry about getting that much heat out of a mini-pc case.

Barton, 400 mhz RAM, fast video...

Make sure the case has good cooling layout and intake and exhasut fans. Your looking at the same heat as a gaming tower in about a third the size. Thats going to make for thermal issues

Also, make sure it has a real power supply (350W minimum with a high rating on the 5Vdc output). A lot of the mini cases have been putting in mini power supplies.

Originally posted by black-syth

Shuttle SN45G Nforce2 based. (Mini PC)
AMD Athlon 2500+(Barton)
512MB PC3200 RAM
AIW ATi Radeon 9600pro 128MB
80GB Seagate 7200rpm 8mb cache
Logitech iTouch Wireless mouse/keyboard combo.
Sony DVD-R/RW

I think it's a pretty solid PC, any suggestions for improvement are welcome. I need em'.

not bad m8 :)

power draw should not be a problem with that video card and the cpu should not cause any problems either...

I would consider switching the hdd though... the new mainstream seagate's don't stack up that hot v/s maxtor's/western digitals...

believe me... I went through a whole bunch of reviews and factoids and crap before getting my stuff..

also I think if you can save enough money here and there consider buying the logitech cordless MX duo... you may be able to pinch a penny or two with a slightly cheaper dvd +/- RW (I recommend that over a -r/rw)

Originally posted by black-syth
$500?? i'm curious how? the xpc, 2500+, and 9600pro is $500 already. then the memory, hd, dvd burner, kb/mouse would push it well over $800.
:confused:

Re: Re: Building a new PC, suggestions please.

Originally posted by taurus
$500?? i'm curious how? the xpc, 2500+, and 9600pro is $500 already. then the memory, hd, dvd burner, kb/mouse would push it well over $800.
:confused:

the xpc is around 250-300 depending on where you get it from AFAIK... the 2500+ is sub $100 and the AIW 9600pro is just over $200...

so unless the shuttle is coming in way cheap as well as some other parts... I am not sure about the pricing...

IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE TO BUILD A COMPUTER FOR $500 ?

DAMN MY RAM COST MORE THAN THAT....LOL

Originally posted by cwalker2734
IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE TO BUILD A COMPUTER FOR $500 ?

DAMN MY RAM COST MORE THAN THAT....LOL

yes... its possible... just depends what you intend to do with it and what parts you want to get for it...

pricewatch is the bible when scouring for parts, be sure to check out vendor ratings.

Good Luck - congrats on the budget increase, $500 was too low, unless you wanted an e-machine---yuk!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back